Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)  (Read 10670 times)

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:55:37 AM »
I'm a 2nd year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) in San Diego...And I love it. I came onto lawschooldiscussion while deciding whether or not to go back in 2006, and ran into so many TJSL bashers. I swear, it was almost as though people enjoyed ripping apart a school they'd never even been to. I'm so glad I didn't listen...I love it here-the staff and faculty are awesome...they actually care how we do and who we are, which is evidenced by the huge leap in our bar passage rate! 75% in 2008-and for the most difficult bar in years! Take that, all you Tier 1 snobs who enjoy bashing schools not in your tier. We are on the rise...A new campus is also being built in downtown San Diego.

Just to give you an example of the awesome administration, during my first semester, my Dad was in the ICU and I happened to talk to one of the head Deans about what was going on...in the conversation, I mentioned my apartment didn't have heat (and in a really bad winter-for us--yeah, it's all relative, but it was 26 degrees!). She got up, went into another staff member's office, unplugged a space heater out of the wall and said, "She's going to use this for a while. " She even offered me extra blankets...How many administrators in a law school would do that? Not only that...most every teacher I've had has been excellent-very available to students. 

I'm happy to be at a school that I actually enjoy going to. You can't always say that for some of the elite schools. And where else in the country can you take your books to the beach and study! Anyways, I just saw SO many negative things about Thomas Jefferson on this site ("You won't get a job if you go there", etc...) while I was deciding if I should go. In my second semester, after receiving the high grade award in legal writing, I was given a clerkshiip with a notable labor rights attorney, which I did for a year. I've since had 2 awesome jobs. I don't  say that to brag, only to underscore that it's not WHERE you go, but what kind of PASSION you have and how hard you work. If you don't have that, you won't  do well anywhere. If  you have it, you can succeed at any school. Good luck and if any potential TJSLers have questions, I'm happy to help.   :)

I just had to show some school pride.  ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/sddt/20081125/lo_sddt/statebarexampassageratehighestinadecade

http://www.tjsl.edu/ground_breaking

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
Re: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »
I'm really happy that you enjoy your school so much!

but...

The June 2008 bar had the highest state-wide passage rate in many years.  One theory is the point bump based on the earthquake.  I think the passage rate was somewhere in the 60% range.  It typically hovers around the mid 50s%. 

I just wanted to correct that small part.  I'm happy you enjoy your school.  :)
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:59:21 PM »
 :D Thanks! It was nice to see apositive comment...and thanks for the correction. I have one as well. Our pass rate was actually 76 percent, not 75.  ;) That's well above the 60% rate. ;)

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 09:10:03 PM »
I'm a 2nd year student at Thomas Jefferson School of Law (TJSL) in San Diego...And I love it. I came onto lawschooldiscussion while deciding whether or not to go back in 2006, and ran into so many TJSL bashers. I swear, it was almost as though people enjoyed ripping apart a school they'd never even been to. I'm so glad I didn't listen...I love it here-the staff and faculty are awesome...they actually care how we do and who we are, which is evidenced by the huge leap in our bar passage rate! 75% in 2008-and for the most difficult bar in years! Take that, all you Tier 1 snobs who enjoy bashing schools not in your tier. We are on the rise...A new campus is also being built in downtown San Diego.

Just to give you an example of the awesome administration, during my first semester, my Dad was in the ICU and I happened to talk to one of the head Deans about what was going on...in the conversation, I mentioned my apartment didn't have heat (and in a really bad winter-for us--yeah, it's all relative, but it was 26 degrees!). She got up, went into another staff member's office, unplugged a space heater out of the wall and said, "She's going to use this for a while. " She even offered me extra blankets...How many administrators in a law school would do that? Not only that...most every teacher I've had has been excellent-very available to students. 

I'm happy to be at a school that I actually enjoy going to. You can't always say that for some of the elite schools. And where else in the country can you take your books to the beach and study! Anyways, I just saw SO many negative things about Thomas Jefferson on this site ("You won't get a job if you go there", etc...) while I was deciding if I should go. In my second semester, after receiving the high grade award in legal writing, I was given a clerkshiip with a notable labor rights attorney, which I did for a year. I've since had 2 awesome jobs. I don't  say that to brag, only to underscore that it's not WHERE you go, but what kind of PASSION you have and how hard you work. If you don't have that, you won't  do well anywhere. If  you have it, you can succeed at any school. Good luck and if any potential TJSLers have questions, I'm happy to help.   :)

I just had to show some school pride.  ;)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/sddt/20081125/lo_sddt/statebarexampassageratehighestinadecade

http://www.tjsl.edu/ground_breaking

very inspiring. the sky's the limit!
T'50 Class of 2011

Mulliganstew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:01:19 AM »
It stops being school pride when you spam it in every forum. It becomes advertisement.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 12:58:29 AM »
It stops being school pride when you spam it in every forum. It becomes advertisement.

PLEASE...are you kidding? "Spam it in every forum"? You mean TWO? You're getting a bit dramatic.  I posted in rankings, b/c the bar rate/job opportunities/overall school enjoyment is relevant to many students deciding on schools and looking into rankings...And in "Where to go?" b/c I feel students thinking about it have a right to hear good things about the school if they're considering going there. I'd say your comment fits the description of a "troll" more than my 2 posts fit the definintion of "spam".  ::)

JS678

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 05:13:09 AM »
Wow, I was considering which school to go to based on my chances of getting a high paying job.  Now I know what's really important: nice administrators who get you blankets. 

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 02:50:33 PM »
Wow, I was considering which school to go to based on my chances of getting a high paying job.  Now I know what's really important: nice administrators who get you blankets. 

LOL, I think the truth might be somewhere in between these two ideas. Not to mention, not everyone goes to law school with dreams of working 65 hour weeks to make 160k.

dl1227

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »
It's really good to hear what you think about TJ. I am interested in Cal Western (simply bc I got a great vibe from that school personally), and have heard/read many of the same things you did. I hope to come to the same conclusion in a year or two.. if you've heard the same from Cal Western students, I'd love to hear that too.. :)

cooleylawstudent

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 07:58:54 PM »
TJSL and Cal Western are those ABA approved or state bar approved?