Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)  (Read 9432 times)

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Go Thomas Jefferson School of Law! On the Rise... :)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »
Re: Which firms come to TSJ OCI?

From the NALP directory, the following firms/orgs come:

Alverson, Taylor, Mortensen & Sanders       Las Vegas   NV
   Law Offices of the Riverside Public Defender       Riverside   CA
   Office of the Attorney General, California Department of Justice       Sacramento   CA
   Office of the United States Attorney - Southern District of California       San Diego   CA
   San Diego County Office of the Public Defender   Workplace Questionnaire   San Diego   CA
   U.S. AIR FORCE JUDGE ADVOCATE GENERAL'S CORPS   Workplace Questionnaire   WASHINGTON   DC
   U.S. Army Judge Advocate General's Corps       Washington   DC
Vandy Law 2011

vlu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 04:47:34 AM »
I'm guessing that's not a lot at all... man this is worrying me a bit, maybe I should just try to transfer out after the first year

Cloud'nBolt

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 03:05:49 AM »
The only number that matters is 38%... the amount of 1Ls no longer with the class at graduation.  89 students and only 28 were transfers. 

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4973.pdf

The San Diego Local Pre-Law Perspective: TJSL is a solid, up-in coming school, especially in comparison to the other two law schools in town. Ive noticed how most of these assessments of Thomas J are only taking things at face value.  Ive got a few misunderstandings that I feel obligated to clarify, but ill start off with TJ TROLL’s because it’s the most recent, and easier one that I can warm up on…
If we look solely look at the stats from LSAC (ABA Approved Law Schools):
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4973.pdf

Thomas J
   After 1L
      ~4% (20 people) forced to leave due to academic reasons
      ~6% (30 people) left for other reasons
   After 2L & 3L
      5 people leave due to academics
      34 people leave for other reasons

*So the reason why you are coming up with 38% of students not finishing, is because you have more than 30% leaving for other reasons other than academics after the three years. Im not sure if you have checked the profile of the school, but a good number of students at TJSL are parents, working professionals, and others who have multiple obligations to juggle with in addition to Law School.  After the first and most challenging year, only 4% of students were forced to leave because they couldn’t make the grades. In comparison, that’s not half bad.  USD is 3%, and Cal Western is 12%.
(if you would like to know my math, feel free to check)
   TJSL: -20(academic) -30(other)= -50 (11% out)……4% Academic Attrition
   Cal W: -39(academic) -60(other)= -99 (30%out)…..12% Academic Attrition
   USD: -9(academic) -29(other)= -38 (11%out)……….3% Academic Attrition
Cal Western:http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4802.pdf
USD: http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4849.pdf

ThisisIT

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »
Sweet blahg brah.

southerncallaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »
There are people that have over 1000 posts on this site.  Get a life!

The same "big law" snobs say the same thing about all "4th tier" schools...  horrible attrition rates.  Sure.  You accept people who might or might not make it... some of them, ob course, fail out.  You get their money, you build your school... get over it.

Also, you get no job.  Bulls**t.  You have to work hard at these schools (like any school).  Pass the bar... make law review if you can.  Jobs are available.  They wont be "big law" jobs paying 125k a year so it would be smart not to run up a huge tab attending....

But... to add to the topic: I am thinking of attending TJ.  I have not received word of $$ yet, so I dont know.  Their new building will be open in 2010 which is exciting.  Big library.  Some great profs. 

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »
OP's entire post is reminiscent of one of those creepy cult propaganda things that everyone knows is crazy...yall know what I'm talking about?

vlu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2009, 11:49:20 PM »
There are people that have over 1000 posts on this site.  Get a life!

The same "big law" snobs say the same thing about all "4th tier" schools...  horrible attrition rates.  Sure.  You accept people who might or might not make it... some of them, ob course, fail out.  You get their money, you build your school... get over it.

Also, you get no job.  Bulls**t.  You have to work hard at these schools (like any school).  Pass the bar... make law review if you can.  Jobs are available.  They wont be "big law" jobs paying 125k a year so it would be smart not to run up a huge tab attending....

But... to add to the topic: I am thinking of attending TJ.  I have not received word of $$ yet, so I dont know.  Their new building will be open in 2010 which is exciting.  Big library.  Some great profs. 

I'm with you on this one. For some reason I always had a feeling that posting in a site like this would inevitably lead you to come across ignorant over-achievers who enjoys putting other people down. If Isisdreamer is able to create a post that advocates TJSL let her be, I don't think any top 20 prospective students should have any business reading something t3 prospective students are interested in.

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:19 AM »
I was the original poster of this post, so I wanted to just take a minute to give hope to anyone looking at a T4. I went to TJSL (Thomas Jefferson School of Law) and had a great experience. I passed the California bar exam and have had an amazing job with a huge CA firm for over a year. I make excellent money and am one of the few people I know (from any school) who is gainfully employed during this crappy economy. I just want to give those of you who end up at a T4 some hope. It truly does not matter where you go (ok-you do need to go to an ABA accredited school). The critical thing is to take legal writing seriously! Kick a$$ in that class. The great thing about TJSL is that it has 2 semesters of legal writing (most schools have one). Use those semesters to try and be at the top of your legal writing class. If you have to, get a tutor. Do whatever it takes. When you see legal writing competitions, enter them. My current boss was most impressed w my legal writing skills. Legal writing is SO important and most students blow that class off for some reason. Next, GET JOB EXPERIENCE WHILE IN SCHOOL! T4 students are at a disadvantage in that it's harder to get your foot in the door for jobs after law school. But I've talked to countless attorneys who tell me they'd rather have a hardworking student, with lots of experience (who writes well) from a T 4 than some lazy, indulged student from a T1 who did great in his classes but has no work experience. 

I'm not saying this to put anyone down. Regardless of the level of school, legal writing is critical. But I just had such a negative experience on here w people telling me not to go to TJSL, that I'd never get a job, and that T4's were a joke. I wanted to follow up and let you know you CAN be very successful coming out of a T4.  I had great teachers at TJSL who graduated from T1's with honors. Ranking does NOT matter. Law school is all what you make of it. If you want to be an attorney badly enough, don't let school rankings stop or dissuade you from following your dream. All my best.   :)

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 03:30:29 AM »
Ranking does NOT matter.

This is as objectively false of a statement as you could have made.

The two best ways to get a job:

1. Go to a higher ranked school.
2. Get better grades (and achieve a higher class rank).

Ranking is pretty much all that matters.

Any thoughts on your school getting sued by some former students?

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
Ranking does NOT matter.

This is as objectively false of a statement as you could have made.

The two best ways to get a job:

1. Go to a higher ranked school.
2. Get better grades (and achieve a higher class rank).

Ranking is pretty much all that matters.

Any thoughts on your school getting sued by some former students?

I have to say you are both a bit correct.  Over the years, I've noticed that networking is really key to getting a job - no matter what your profession.  If you go to law school just out of undergrad with no work experience and don't know a single attorney, then yes, it is necessary to go to a great school and get better grades.  The desparation is greater when you have undergrad debt in addition to law school debt and no way to pay your bills.  The only way you can get a job and meet attorneys is through law school.  So yes, your school ranking would matter more.

However, if you're like me, older, working, and already have connections set up, then it really doesn't matter which school you go to.   I have no desire to work for big law, and I'll have a job waiting for me when I graduate.  But let's say that job doesn't pan out.  I know numerous attorney's from work - including our own legal department - that will help when it comes time to find a job.  One of these attorneys has already told me to let him know when I'm ready to intern with his office.  I also know an attorney who got a 143 on her LSAT, went to Cooley, and has a successful solo practice she inherited from her father.  Do you think her clients ask her where she went to law school? 

Employment boils down to much more than rankings, I can assure you.  Networking is everything, and rankings are important when you have no network.  So I believe you both have point, it just depends on where one is at in their life.