Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So what happens if you really do get a C as a 1L?  (Read 4232 times)

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So what happens if you really do get a C as a 1L?
« on: December 10, 2008, 12:26:36 PM »
Are you done?  Discuss.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: So what happens if you really do get a C as a 1L?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
You can recover, I got a C+ in con law, and I'm still #13 in my class. You just can't get more than 1 or 2 or your out of the top 20% for good (depending on your schools curve)
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:05:24 PM »
You can recover, I got a C+ in con law, and I'm still #13 in my class. You just can't get more than 1 or 2 or your out of the top 20% for good (depending on your schools curve)

a 3L here got a C- her 1L year and is now top 10, not 10% but top 10
University of Oklahoma '11

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:54:34 PM »
Are you done?  Discuss.

Assuming the worst- that the C isn't a fluke compared to your other grades and you just don't match up well in the often subjective law school grading system- then it would be time for you to become aggressive in networking and show yourself to be a good hire despite your grades.  We've agreed on this before, but your specific gpa isn't as important to employers (since they don't reveal it to clients) as are any accomplishments that distinguish you from your peers.  Some of these are grade-specific (Dean's List, Order of the Coif) but others are only somewhat or completely unrelated (writing onto Law Review/Journal, Moot Court, impressive work experience, etc.)

You folks are already done? Good lord... I think the 1Ls have until the 18th here. Enjoy the break, and do everything in your power not to think about grades. Focus on relaxing and/or job searching/networking.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:33:39 PM »
Depends on the curve and other factors.

In a school with a C+ curve, grades of A/A/A-/B+/C could very well be close to the top of the class.
In a school with a B+ curve combined with otherwise median grades, it could hurt you quite a bit more (especially because it means you probably wrote worst exam in the entire section)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:54 PM »
Depends on the curve and other factors.

In a school with a C+ curve, grades of A/A/A-/B+/C could very well be close to the top of the class.
In a school with a B+ curve combined with otherwise median grades, it could hurt you quite a bit more (especially because it means you probably wrote worst exam in the entire section)

Man, just when I was starting to feel a little better...

;)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:39:21 AM »
Nobody gets a C at THE EMORY!

But at least one person got a D on Legal Writing...
VIP.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 10:24:55 AM »

Depends on your curve.  We have a B+ curve at my school and there is no way in hell you could end up in the top 15% and likely not even the top 1/3 if you got a C or even a C+ 1L year.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 11:04:42 AM »

Depends on your curve.  We have a B+ curve at my school and there is no way in hell you could end up in the top 15% and likely not even the top 1/3 if you got a C or even a C+ 1L year.

Its also much harder to even get a C with a B+ curve. We have a B/B- curve, so its toatlly feaseable to get As people must get cs for the mean/meadian to work, I wish we had a B+ curve I could get an A- just for puting my exam number down  :o, we had a midterm this semster were the prof gave like 15 C range and even 4 D's and a D- out of 48 people, I can't imagine what its like at a school like cooly with a 2.5 curve, OUCH
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:54:07 AM »
Yeah, that blows.  I'm glad I go to a school with a higher curve.  I don't think anywhere in the top 20 they have below a B or B+ curve.  Hell, the entire top 5 is switching over to a no-grade system.....  How nice that would be.

For what it's worth though, getting an A- isn't that easy on a B+ curve.  Most professors give mostly B+'s at my school, a handful of A-'s, a handful of B's, and then only a few A's or B-'s and below.