Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1 year since graduation = still no job  (Read 13093 times)

legalese_retard

• View Profile
1 year since graduation = still no job
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:26:29 AM »
Haven't posted on here in a while, but someone emailed me and wanted an update. I graduated last December and I still don't have a legal job. I have been working at Starbucks and work at a free legal clinic part-time, but the job prospects keep getting weaker and weaker. I graduated from a good law school, with decent grades, and have a marketable resume (according to my school's OCS), but I never anticipated how long it would take me to find a job in a bad economy.

Basically, this is just a friendly reminder for you future lawyers that there is no sure thing after law school (even if you go to a top tier school). Make sure you are prepared to be unemployed for over a year after you graduate. If you can't afford that risk, I recommend going to a school that gives a really good scholarship or wait and save some money before you attend.   

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1 year since graduation = still no job
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
define "good law school."

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:28 AM »
Haven't posted on here in a while, but someone emailed me and wanted an update. I graduated last December and I still don't have a legal job. I have been working at Starbucks and work at a free legal clinic part-time, but the job prospects keep getting weaker and weaker. I graduated from a good law school, with decent grades, and have a marketable resume (according to my school's OCS), but I never anticipated how long it would take me to find a job in a bad economy.

Basically, this is just a friendly reminder for you future lawyers that there is no sure thing after law school (even if you go to a top tier school). Make sure you are prepared to be unemployed for over a year after you graduate. If you can't afford that risk, I recommend going to a school that gives a really good scholarship or wait and save some money before you attend.   

It's not just lawyers. My GF has had a tough time trying to find a job after graduating in Dec. with her Masters, the best my roommate has been able to do with his Bachelors is find temporary warehouse work and most of my friends live in sheer terror of the rounds of layoffs that have been happening at their employers. Summary = It sucks to be looking for a job no matter who you are right now.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:16:37 PM »

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:21:05 PM »

It's not just lawyers. My GF has had a tough time trying to find a job after graduating in Dec. with her Masters, the best my roommate has been able to do with his Bachelors is find temporary warehouse work and most of my friends live in sheer terror of the rounds of layoffs that have been happening at their employers. Summary = It sucks to be looking for a job no matter who you are right now.

True, but a lot of people go into the law thinking it is recession proof and that people will always need lawyers. I have been applying to bankruptcy and litigation boutique firms, but they aren't hiring either (even though they probably need the help). Until the economy hits rock bottom, I think there is going to be a hiring freeze. Also, I have noticed that sometimes having the JD hurts a little. I've tried applying to non-legal jobs and utilizing my undergraduate degree, but those places see a JD and assume that I would only use them as a stepping stone until the economy got better (rightfully so). 

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:00:11 PM »
Why are you applying to lit and bankruptcy boutiques.  With a JD from Tulane, average grades, and a "marketable" resume (i.e. not strong), you probably wouldn't have a shot at these boutiques even in a good market.  Why not apply to ID/PI firms?
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 05:59:36 PM »
Have you looked into short-term contract/temp attorney jobs?

What did you do 2L summer? (general.. or ignoring this Q is fine).

What cities/locations are you looking at?  Which bar did you pass?

When applying to non-lawyer jobs, you might consider leaving the JD off and removing all (or just some) of the dates that you graduated undergrad and worked other jobs.  I've heard leaving off the JD can be more productive, but then there are typically large date gaps.  You might overcome those gaps by just simply leaving off dates to get an interview (at which point, if they like you, hopefully they won't care that you either 1) didn't include dates, or 2) if the topic comes up, that you graduated law school).

Bigbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
Why are you applying to lit and bankruptcy boutiques.  With a JD from Tulane, average grades, and a "marketable" resume (i.e. not strong), you probably wouldn't have a shot at these boutiques even in a good market.  Why not apply to ID/PI firms?

What's ID?

I think it stands for insurance defense.

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 07:16:37 PM »
Have you looked into short-term contract/temp attorney jobs?

What did you do 2L summer? (general.. or ignoring this Q is fine).

What cities/locations are you looking at?  Which bar did you pass?

When applying to non-lawyer jobs, you might consider leaving the JD off and removing all (or just some) of the dates that you graduated undergrad and worked other jobs.  I've heard leaving off the JD can be more productive, but then there are typically large date gaps.  You might overcome those gaps by just simply leaving off dates to get an interview (at which point, if they like you, hopefully they won't care that you either 1) didn't include dates, or 2) if the topic comes up, that you graduated law school).

I passed the Texas bar, so I am looking in the Houston/Dallas/San Antonio markets. I have been looking for contract positions, but they are not as prevelant in Texas as they are in places like NYC, DC and Chicago. My 2L year I was a summer associate at a large firm in Texas, but I was "laid off" a month after I graduated and was prepping for the February Bar. My qualifications made me competitive at several reputable firms in Texas. I just got shafted by the firm I committed to and positions at other firms were filled by the time I could start looking for a new job.

I've actually thought about leaving off the JD from my resume, but my PR professor strongly suggested that I shouldn't do this because it walks a fine ethical line. According to the prof, failing to mention the fact that I am a licensed attorney is tantamout to misrepresenting the fact that I am not a lawyer. I doubt I could lose my license for failing to put this on my resume, but I don't want to tempt the Texas Bar Association and I don't want to be the case study for future PR classess.  

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:17:36 PM »

What's ID?

I think it stands for insurance defense.

Correct

ID = Insurance Defense
PI = Personal Injury/Plaintiffs firm