Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does AA help some white applicants  (Read 4127 times)

thisismylife

• View Profile
Does AA help some white applicants
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:50:55 PM »
I've been thinking about it, I think AA helps the 170+, under 3 GPA type applicants by forcing the admission people to polarize admission LSAT ranges, Im talking outside the T-14, but getting into a lower Tier one or tier two,
if schools have to take 30% with a 152-158 average LSAT, then they have to raise their average LSAT, and they're not gonna do that by taking the white with a 3.9 and a 162, they take the lazy potheads like me with a 2.8 and a 171.....
anyone here I am high and not studying Con law so I thought of this. what AA really hurts is those white kids with high GPAs and great work ethic who can't think so fast, and one of its side effects is to get more subsersive, scheming Jews like me into the legal profession, because the schools are forced to place an unwarranted premium on the LSAT, to make US news happy
Discuss

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Does AA help some white applicants
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:20:28 AM »
I think most of these ideas have to do with how high you are.

thisismylife

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:42:07 AM »
so I'm wrong?

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »
Your argument could have some merit. I have no idea. It just sounds like a high conspiracy theory. And I am pretty well-versed in high conspiracy theories.

I think that schools put a premium on high LSAT scores because they're much less common than high GPAs, and because your score is standardized. A school can find thousands of people with 4.0s to counter a lower GPA, but they can't find thousands of people who scored over 175, simply because there shouldn't be more than 1,000 people who did (.5% of 150,000 = 750). A 4.0 from a state school is not comparable to a 4.0 from somewhere that deflates grades. If Mr. 4.0 From a State School can't break 160 on the LSAT, then his GPA carries less weight than it would had he scored over 170. I guess it works as a screening mechanism for people with high GPAs who had easy majors or simply aren't that smart.

thisismylife

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 02:07:50 AM »
True... but the incentives to place that premium become greater when a significant segment is locked up to be in that low segment.. so the class president 4.0 161 can't slide in bec all the marginal LSAT slots are taken.. then for the other 70% the admissions director is scrambling to balance out his average number, getting a bunch of 170+ in school who they throw $$$ at and compete, if no AA then schools could have more merged students ranges... so you can smoke weed allday everyday in undergrad as long as you can think fast.. but if you think slow you're screwed, because the only low lsats who get in belong to diverse ones

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »
I've been thinking about it, I think AA helps the 170+, under 3 GPA type applicants by forcing the admission people to polarize admission LSAT ranges, Im talking outside the T-14, but getting into a lower Tier one or tier two,
if schools have to take 30% with a 152-158 average LSAT, then they have to raise their average LSAT, and they're not gonna do that by taking the white with a 3.9 and a 162, they take the lazy potheads like me with a 2.8 and a 171.....
anyone here I am high and not studying Con law so I thought of this. what AA really hurts is those white kids with high GPAs and great work ethic who can't think so fast, and one of its side effects is to get more subsersive, scheming Jews like me into the legal profession, because the schools are forced to place an unwarranted premium on the LSAT, to make US news happy
Discuss

What does any of this bull have to do with race or AA?

Holden Caulfield

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »
Advice:

If you discuss your drug use on these boards, you should probably make your email private (especially if it contains your last name and/or initials).

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:19 PM »
Advice:

If you discuss your drug use on these boards, you should probably make your email private (especially if it contains your last name and/or initials).

this is good advice
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Mitchell

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
Advice:

Mmmmmmmitchell

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 01:54:43 AM »
Your argument could have some merit. I have no idea. It just sounds like a high conspiracy theory. And I am pretty well-versed in high conspiracy theories.

I think that schools put a premium on high LSAT scores because they're much less common than high GPAs, and because your score is standardized. A school can find thousands of people with 4.0s to counter a lower GPA, but they can't find thousands of people who scored over 175, simply because there shouldn't be more than 1,000 people who did (.5% of 150,000 = 750). A 4.0 from a state school is not comparable to a 4.0 from somewhere that deflates grades. If Mr. 4.0 From a State School can't break 160 on the LSAT, then his GPA carries less weight than it would had he scored over 170. I guess it works as a screening mechanism for people with high GPAs who had easy majors or simply aren't that smart.

Ahh, be careful...not all "state schools" are made alike. There's a world's difference between the University of Montana and, say, the University of Washington, Wisconsin, California (take your pick), Michigan, North Carolina, or Virginia.

But I digress. Your point is well-taken and likely true. In general, anything rare has more value.