Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I don't want Biglaw, do my grades matter.  (Read 3327 times)

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Re: If I don't want Biglaw, do my grades matter.
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 01:11:50 AM »
One thing I know is that I don't want Biglaw. I probably want to work a mid-sized firm between 10-50 attorneys with reasonable hours. $60-80k starting pay. I attend a mid T-1. Given that, do my grades really matter that much?

yes.  stop whining and go study.

and u base this on....

there's a lot of information on this very subject in this thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,80098.0.html

hahahahaha  :D :D :D

Wow, the ultimate rick roller just got rick roll'd

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 11:51:22 AM »
One thing I know is that I don't want Biglaw. I probably want to work a mid-sized firm between 10-50 attorneys with reasonable hours. $60-80k starting pay. I attend a mid T-1. Given that, do my grades really matter that much?

and u base this on....

Come on, I'm an 0L and even I know these jobs are basically non-existent for grads straight out of law school.

And you know this based on what? Nobody on this board really talks about non-biglaw jobs very often.

Gosh, you are a rude little pill, aren't you.

"Says who?" "Oh yeah?" "Make me!" "So's yer mom!"

There's a polite way to ask for clarification, or what else a person knows about the subject. This is not even close.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 12:00:32 PM »
what are you, dash?  A Canadian breakfast buffet?

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »

and u base this on....

Come on, I'm an 0L and even I know these jobs are basically non-existent for grads straight out of law school.

And you know this based on what? Nobody on this board really talks about non-biglaw jobs very often.

Gosh, you are a rude little pill, aren't you.

"Says who?" "Oh yeah?" "Make me!" "So's yer mom!"

There's a polite way to ask for clarification, or what else a person knows about the subject. This is not even close.

I agree.  You  come here asking a question and then dismiss everyone.  Maybe it's just not what you want to hear.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:21 PM »

I googled this and I still have no idea what you're talking about.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 12:07:07 PM »

I googled this and I still have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm talking about your avatar.  Admittedly, I'm not sure where the Canadian part came from.  I think it's because I see ham.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »
You don't see ham. You see gelato.
This sig kills fascists.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 12:10:41 PM »
Still delicious, but in a totally different way.

jumbo11

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
I summered at a law firm of about 30 lawyers specializing in defense litigation in '08.  Each summer they hire 3 2Ls, but offer no assurances that an offer will be extended for full-time positions.  As luck would have it, I was the only summer offered a  position.  To my surprise, the starting salary was $110k plus bonus.  This is a rare case -- the firm is boutique style, specializes is particular areas, and rarely hires kids straight out of school.  Most of the associates are lateral hires from biglaw, former AUSAs, or former ADAs.  I guess my point is one several others have made -- unless you want biglaw or a smaller firm gig paying around $60k a year, it's very difficult to find decent paying small firm jobs.  So... study up so you'll have as many options as possible.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
You don't see ham. You see gelato.

SEE?  i'm not the only one who thinks it's cold cuts.

I thought so too :P