Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I don't want Biglaw, do my grades matter.  (Read 3450 times)

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
If I don't want Biglaw, do my grades matter.
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:13 PM »
One thing I know is that I don't want Biglaw. I probably want to work a mid-sized firm between 10-50 attorneys with reasonable hours. $60-80k starting pay. I attend a mid T-1. Given that, do my grades really matter that much?

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: If I don't want Biglaw, do my grades matter.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »
listen to tm, he's a father to us all

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »
One thing I know is that I don't want Biglaw. I probably want to work a mid-sized firm between 10-50 attorneys with reasonable hours. $60-80k starting pay. I attend a mid T-1. Given that, do my grades really matter that much?

yes.  stop whining and go study.

and u base this on....

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »

Come on, I'm an 0L and even I know these jobs are basically non-existent for grads straight out of law school.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 11:56:56 PM »
This seems like a question for matthies.

I think the simple answer is: better grades will almost always help, but how much they matter will depend on....a lot of stuff.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »

Come on, I'm an 0L and even I know these jobs are basically non-existent for grads straight out of law school.

And you know this based on what? Nobody on this board really talks about non-biglaw jobs very often.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 12:19:32 AM »
Ever seen a graph for salary distributions straight out of law school?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 12:35:58 AM »
Ever seen a graph for salary distributions straight out of law school?

I have. Most jobs are either over $100k or under some other number (I don't remember). But there do still exist thousands of jobs in between. They just aren't as prevalent.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »
The first thing ANY employer, biglaw or non biglaw will look at is grades.  Biglaw just happens to be more stuck up open about it and I'm pretty sure they have cut offs unless you really know someone or something amazing happens.  "Regular" law firms will look to that first thing on your resume.  Even public interest is competitive.  Hell, any legal jobs for attorneys are competitive, and even moreso in this economy.  Grades matter anywhere. 

I would say the sort of clear area you can possibly escape from this is if you do public interest and show a clear dedication to "the cause".  If you want to be a domestic violence advocate, for example, showing you've been working in a clinic for three years, is going to be more impressive than your grades.  If it's you vs. someone with better grades, they'll take you because they know you're committed to the cause.  That being said, they would also like you to have good grades.  I know the public defenders program is also less picky when it comes to grades, because, again they would value commitment over grades.

They always matter, just the more "high ranking" or competitive a job you're seeking, the more important they become.  There are always ways to overcome grades, or at least can mitigate them - good interview skills, experience, networking, extracurriculars (if you founded something or did something impressive, not just being in them).

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 12:49:02 AM »

yes.  stop whining and go study.

and u base this on....

there's a lot of information on this very subject in this thread: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,80098.0.html

hahahahaha  :D :D :D