Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Couple financial aid q's  (Read 1357 times)

secondsblue

• View Profile
Couple financial aid q's
« on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:34 PM »
1.) Do loans cover the cost of relocation if your law school is out of state?

2.) If you don't get a paid 1L job, how do you survive?  Loan budgets are figured based upon the 9 months academic year...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Couple financial aid q's
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:03:31 PM »

2.) If you don't get a paid 1L job, how do you survive?  Loan budgets are figured based upon the 9 months academic year...

No.

Hide in summer classes and get FA, or move back in with the 'rents for the summer if possible.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

secondsblue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »

No.

Hide in summer classes and get FA, or move back in with the 'rents for the summer if possible.

Moar questions:

If you find housing cheaper than allotted for in the CoA, can you keep the difference for misc. expenses? Or are you required to only borrow exactly what you need? I figured the CoAs are what is automatically granted in all cases.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »

No.

Moar questions:

If you find housing cheaper than allotted for in the CoA, can you keep the difference for misc. expenses? Or are you required to only borrow exactly what you need? I figured the CoAs are what is automatically granted in all cases.

You keep the difference. COA is what they know tuition will cost + what they think it will cost you to buy books, pay for housing, and survive for the semester, including (usually) a little bit for traveling and misc. expenses. After your school deducts your tuition (and fees) from your total loan, they then disburse everything that's left over to you and you may spend it however you like (you know, within reason).

One extra word of advice, if you're smart and can afford to do so, you'll also repay the interest on unsubsidized loans, but don't beat yourself up if you can't. I couldn't this semester just because moving costs ate up a lot of my misc. funds, but in the future, I will be doing so.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
1) No they do not cover the cost of relocation.
2) If you don't get a job, you might want to consider cutting back on other miscellaneous living expenses or looking for other scholarships.  If you go to a local library or bookstore, there is typically a book which offers a variety of different need-based and merit-based scholarships for graduate school and they might have some leads for you.  If all else fails, consider approaching the law school and seeing if you can work out some work/study program.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law