Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it worth going to a 2nd tier school?  (Read 12831 times)

hman13

• View Profile
Is it worth going to a 2nd tier school?
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:16:23 PM »
Heres my dilemma.  I graduated from a top 40 undergrad university with a low GPA, 3.24, in a tough major, Math.  I got a 157 and 156 on the LSAT.  I know that im destined to go to a 2nd tier school, ranked about 80-100.  We all know the schools that accept those types of numbers.  My question is:

is it even worth going to law school if its gonna be one of those schools?   Also, im from the midwest, and if i go to pacific, lsu, depaul, arizona state, or miami like i am looking at, will i be able to find jobs back in the midwest with J.Ds from those schools?  I just want to know if its owrth going to a 2nd tier school outside of the region you plan on living and working in.  I dont mean offense to anyone who goes to those schools, as I am not guaranteed to get into them myself, and would be happy if I were admitted.

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
Re: Is it worth going to a 2nd tier school?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »
Generally, I would say it is NOT worth going to a second tier school outside of the geographic area you want to settle in.

In my geographic area (Delaware Valley/Philadelphia), outside of T14 schools, everyone waits in line behind graduates of the three larger local schools (Temple, Villanova, Rutgers).  Even a degree from a respectable T1 like OSU or Wisconsin generally will not give you a leg up, as their alumni networks are not strong here.

Try to get into a law school (1) Where you want to settle down (2) Where you can get relatively cheap instate tuition.  Nothing sucks more than paying full price for law school and then not being able to find a job.

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 07:49:19 PM »
if there's a top 100 school in the city/region where you wanna work, going there is probably worth it... but stick around after you graduate, or by the time you've driven far enough away to need a new tank of gas you may no longer have many job options

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:04 PM »
Are you gonna get a six figure salary right out of T2 school, probably not, unless you're in the top 5% of your class. Whether that should stop you from going to law school is a call only you can make. Keep in mind that your first job out of law school doesn't determine your whole career.   

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:35:04 PM »
What city/cities would you want to work in?

Better to go to a T4 on a scholarship than a private T2 outside your state, IMO.

hman13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:50:20 PM »
i live in chicago and dont see myself wanting to leave.

i dont see myself getting into kent, loyola, or depaulwith my numbers.

or do i have better prospects in the job market by pursuing a masters degree in math (ive already been accepted)

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:04:57 PM »
Did you apply to any T3/4 schools in IL?  You never know what could happen with scholarship money.

You've already got some great options, but I personally wouldn't want to be searching for a job in Chicago with a ton of debt from an out-of-state school.

Depaul seems like a decent option, but I'd still throw a few apps at T3/4 schools in Illinois.

Remarq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:16:50 PM »
NIU and SIU would be cheap, and although it's in Indiana Valpo isnt too far from Chicago. They might give you serious money with that 157, it's way above their 75th.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Yes, unless you want biglaw.

Besides going to a school in your region, having "roots" in your region is a good way to break into any particular market, even if you go to school elsewhere.

Go somewhere people have heard of (like anywhere you listed, except maybe DePaul), and you'll be fine.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jpasqu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 11:06:41 PM »
Yes, unless you want biglaw.

Besides going to a school in your region, having "roots" in your region is a good way to break into any particular market, even if you go to school elsewhere.

Go somewhere people have heard of (like anywhere you listed, except maybe DePaul), and you'll be fine.

Is that because of the tuition at DePaul?