Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 34M, Looking for LS Advice  (Read 2974 times)

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
34M, Looking for LS Advice
« on: December 09, 2008, 03:46:40 PM »
I am 34, I graduated at the University of Washington, Tacoma campus in 2003 with a 3.0 GPA, BA in Env. Studies. Since then I have been the
CEO of a company with 26 employees (a magazine) which I just sold my interest in. Over the years I have found that my ineptness at law
and contractual wranglings has held me back. I would like to attend law school, for more than just that reason, but I have a few questions.

The UW has a Masters of Arts program in Env. Studies that I know I could nail a 3.5 in across the board.
Would getting this degree before law school help my application? Since my BA was five or more years ago, would my life experience,
letters of recommendation and good grades in grad school make up enough for my low undergrad scores? Most of my undergrad grades were
either 3.5+ or under 2.0 due to a bad divorce at a young age. MOST of the low scores were retaken, but the UW averages both scores into
your GPA. Wil a law school see this and understand?

Any advice on what to do next? I am unemployed but financially secure for a year or two with my buyout, and want to make the best of this opportunity.

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 34M, Looking for LS Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »
Bueller? Anyone? 82 view and no response?

I guess I'll clarify my question... will law schools weigh a recent graduate degree heavily, with good grades, and/or will it help make up for my lowly 3.0 as an undergrad? I'd be doing the graduate degree both for experience and to have a better LS application. Has anyone here done a grad degree before LS and did it help?

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
Has anyone here done a grad degree before LS and did it help?

Yes.  No.

Unless you're doing a really fancy, well-known program or a PhD, grad experience matters very, very little.

With a 3.0, you still have a shot at good schools, if you do well enough on the LSAT.  Look at lawschoolnumbers.com and search for acceptances with your GPA to get an idea.  Or use the calculator on lsac.org: http://officialguide.lsac.org/UGPASearch/Search3.aspx?SidString= .
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
Bueller? Anyone? 82 view and no response?

I guess I'll clarify my question... will law schools weigh a recent graduate degree heavily, with good grades, and/or will it help make up for my lowly 3.0 as an undergrad? I'd be doing the graduate degree both for experience and to have a better LS application. Has anyone here done a grad degree before LS and did it help?

No, your grad degree won't help much, but a good LSAT will, aim for knocking that out of the park and UGPA won't matter that much except at the very top schools. I did a grad degree before LS and in law school, and it helped, but only becuase is was a LAW grad degree (LLM/MLS) in Natural Resource Law, so i had law school grades BEFORE I applied to the JD (its a long story and very rare) but I'm the only person I know who thinks thier grad degree helped.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
Okay thanks guys...

I'm just scared that my 3.0 isn't enough but showing that I could spend 4-5 quarters nailing a 3.5+ in a grad program would look good on paper, but maybe not? I am thinking Seattle U or U of Wash, or one of the Oregon Schools for Env. Law.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 08:06:33 PM »
Okay thanks guys...

I'm just scared that my 3.0 isn't enough but showing that I could spend 4-5 quarters nailing a 3.5+ in a grad program would look good on paper, but maybe not?

The problem is that the grades in grad programs are inflated.  A 3.5 in most grad programs would actually be pretty crumby, and really good grades aren't as meaningful as in other contexts.

Your business experience would likely impress many admissions folks more than a masters.  That shows real initiative and people skills.

ETA: I'm speaking in general terms.  Matthies probably has something to say about enviro stuff in particular.

I am thinking Seattle U or U of Wash, or one of the Oregon Schools for Env. Law.

Look at those sites that I linked to for an idea of what LSAT you're shooting for for those schools.  The score isn't just for admission, btw -- there is significant merit money at stake.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
Okay thanks guys...

I'm just scared that my 3.0 isn't enough but showing that I could spend 4-5 quarters nailing a 3.5+ in a grad program would look good on paper, but maybe not? I am thinking Seattle U or U of Wash, or one of the Oregon Schools for Env. Law.

I'm doing env. and natural resource law at Denver, if your LSAT is not that great think about applying part-time
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

opcode

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 01:26:17 AM »
How does that work, is it easier to get into PT programs with lower scores? I would assume then you could maybe transfer to FT after good scores in 1L?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 09:39:11 AM »
How does that work, is it easier to get into PT programs with lower scores? I would assume then you could maybe transfer to FT after good scores in 1L?

At least right now schools don't have to report thier LSAT scores for Part Time programs to US News for ranking, so they can take lower numbers, plus your biz experince makes you a good canidate for PT. At most schools you can switch to FT by takin a few summer classes. I actually prefer PT becuase I have my days fee to network, clerk at a law firm and run my own biz. So I will have 4 years legal experince compared to maybe 6 months if I was FT My classes are uausly M-Th 5-9PM then done. I would just be at home watching TV then anayway, so why not take my classes then have my days free.

tbrewing

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:30 AM »
I'm 38 and just finished my first semester.   I was a software developer before returning to school and have maintained a consulting relationship with a previous employer.  The target was no more than 10 hours/month.  The first 2-3 weeks of law school, I was able to devote 2-3 hours/week fixing bugs.  For the remainder of the semester, I was able to devote NO time at all to outside work.  Almost all of my out-of-class time was spent studying, except for the 1hr/day i took the dogs to the dog park.  My fiance and I did little out-of-house fun stuff the whole semester.

If you plan on working during the first year, you will either have to spend 0 time with your family or accept that your grades will be sub-par.  From my experience, full time school and a family will give you no time for work.