Law School Discussion

Penn Essays (with a side question on michigan)

Penn Essays (with a side question on michigan)
« on: December 09, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »
I am applying to Penn and it's one of my top choices.  I'm submitting a personal essay, a diversity essay (I'm hispanic), and a GPA addendum that also explains why i took a year long leave of absence during school.  I have everything ready, but I'm also writing a "Why penn" essay--the problem is, would it be overkill? I'm basically sending them 4 essays! The personal essay is 2 pages long, the diversity statement is 1.5 pages long, and the addendum is 1 page long (i tried to make it shorter, but i have a lot of things to explain on the addendum).... should i go ahead and include a why penn essay? It's going to be about a page long.

when I applied to michigan, i didn't do the "why michigan" essay, because I already answered two of the optional topics with the essays listed above, and that was their limit, but penn doesn't specify a limit, as far as I can tell.

any advice?

Re: Penn Essays (with a side question on michigan)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 08:42:09 AM »
Well, it's not particularly special.  I'm writing about the diverse professional backgrounds of the faculty, the interdisciplinary focus (which seems to be the most popular topic) and the opportunity to round out my legal education with courses in other departments, and the ESADE certificate program in Barcelona... hopefully that's good enough?