Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP... I have writer's block!  (Read 940 times)

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP... I have writer's block!
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:39 PM »
So one of my tests is take home, and I've had it for three days. So far, I have a mini rough outline, but that's it!  I have writer's block so I decided to start studying for other classes to get my mind off this subject.  Well that really isn't working either because I keep worrying about my take home test.  Any tips/suggestions?
Class of 2011

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: HELP... I have writer's block!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
So one of my tests is take home, and I've had it for three days. So far, I have a mini rough outline, but that's it!  I have writer's block so I decided to start studying for other classes to get my mind off this subject.  Well that really isn't working either because I keep worrying about my take home test.  Any tips/suggestions?

just start writing, don't worry about form or function just sstart getting ideas down on paper, even in an outline form, free writing, write the answers to the questions you already know and come back to the other stuff later don't feel like you need to start with question one, you can even start in the middle of a question. Once you starting writing you will overcome the block. Good luck
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

just start writing, don't worry about form or function just sstart getting ideas down on paper, even in an outline form, free writing, write the answers to the questions you already know and come back to the other stuff later don't feel like you need to start with question one, you can even start in the middle of a question. Once you starting writing you will overcome the block. Good luck

I agree; the only way I've ever been able to get past this kind of writer's block is to just start writing something.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
Try to start with the easiest portion of your exam.  If it's a single memo, write the facts summary section.  if it's a multi-part essay test, pick what looks to be the easiest question and write some kind of an answer for it.  It doesn't have to be good, you're just priming the pump so to speak.  If all else fails, start formatting your outline to look like an essay and, as you do, fill in any of the thoughts/analysis you are considering as you do. 

It's SOO much easier to get working when you've got something on paper, even if it's total garbage.  Let the garbage flow and clean it up later.