Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What non-academic activities are worthwhile? Not worthwhile? Thoughts?  (Read 938 times)

The Thread Starter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
What have been people's experiences in terms of these?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: What non-academic activities are worthwhile? Not worthwhile? Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 06:08:47 PM »
teevee. also eatin'.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

lackofabetteridea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »
Pontificating. 

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
I'll be substantive for a sec: any kind of leadership position (read: something other than subciter) on a secondary journal does not really justify the time spent. Subciting is useful b/c you learn the bluebook, but damn. Editing work on a journal is pretty awful.

(Sorry, Spaulding)
This sig kills fascists.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 07:53:29 PM »
What have people's experiences in terms of these?

Worthwhile:
Mardi Gras last year.  So was the VBA-sponsored trip to Kentucky Derby after finals. And the roadtrip to the Smoky Mountains was a nice getaway... pretty much anything to lower your stress and take advantage of living wherever you are has been worth missing the occasional class or two.  Going to shows midweek is also very therapeutic... just bought up an entire balcony section at the Ryman for when we come back in January to see MuzikMafia. I'm told they usually pull up some random friends that are in town.

For school-related non-academic activities... Hanging out with the LLMs is pretty fun and I strongly recommend doing that wherever you go... in addition to getting paid by the school, I've learned a little about their legal systems in India & Nicaragua and have offers to go stay with them after they graduate and return home.  Should make for some cool opportunities after taking the Bar in a few years, like riding trains around Kerala and Goa and meeting a bunch of law professors doing legal aid over there.  Really want to visit the LLM in Managua since he's at UCA and I'd originally applied for a grant there after college but never got the green light.

I think student orgs are good when you actually plan to do things and follow through... our Enviro Law Society has been slacking off this semester. I don't know if we've done much besides sending emails out about employers for 1Ls to talk about if they're interested.  On the other hand, Law Students for Social Justice has taken off and pulled in probably 8 or 9 speakers, in addition to working on recruiting with the school and seeking out partnerships with local organizations.  The 1Ls have gotten particularly involved in that, which should help them out in contacting employers for summer jobs.  I probably attend two or three speakers a week through different organizations like ACS/Federalist, Entertainment & Sports, etc. ... it's a good place to multitask during lunch (listen to a speaker about their career path, eat free pizza, and prep for class).  And anything that actually gets you involved with the legal community is good experience, whether or not you're getting externship credit for it.  I'm going to a public meeting tomorrow about a development project... I've already met a few people at Tennessee's Dept of Enviro Conservation and a private practice attorney in town while researching the legal battle being fought. Also, brewing your own coffee.

Not worthwhile: spending any amount of time in the library during finals.  The group panic/getting sick thing isn't worth the marginal benefit of having a quiet place to study.  Apparently I had to relearn this again this year after avoiding that place as a 1L. From hereon out, it's either home or the coffee shop (when I'm out of coffee).
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 08:15:40 PM »
spiking up some quality smack just before class. 

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 08:24:47 PM »
Volunteering with legal aid a few hours a week.  Totally worthwhile.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 08:54:19 PM »
Ummm....Gossip Girl, Ugly Betty, and Fringe are a few of my favorites.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:57:54 PM »
Clinics and pro bono work have been very worthwhile for me.  I highly recommend both.

I also enjoy attending a lot of student events, though being on the e-board of a couple of organizations has been aggravating.  Leadership positions in most organizations are probably overrated, though interviewers occasionally ask me about mine. I imagine it's a good idea to be involved in at least one or two organizations to the extent that you could answer a few questions about your experience in an interview.

I kind of wish I had done a journal.  I am made to cite check.  Most of my friends who are on LR or journals complain endlessly, however, so I don't know. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.