Law School Discussion

Chit chat about the application process

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
Re: Chit chat about the appllication process
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 07:54:10 AM »
I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I've already spent nearly $2,000 on app fees and reports, and yet I feel I should send in more apps, because of the way things are currently playing out.  But to do so now would be cutting into my children's Christmas/WDW spending (there are other contributing factors, such as still unknown travel the PS might have to embark upon next week, for which he has yet to be "pre-imbursed".)  Do I wait until after Christmas, when funding loosens up considerably?  Will it really make a difference?

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »
I never really understood how schools could be interested in why Xs. Generally, they just amount to people quoting from the brochure/making stuff up.

Exactly.  It's b.s. busywork.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 07:59:58 AM »
I'm in a bit of a quandary.  I've already spent nearly $2,000 on app fees and reports, and yet I feel I should send in more apps, because of the way things are currently playing out.  But to do so now would be cutting into my children's Christmas/WDW spending (there are other contributing factors, such as still unknown travel the PS might have to embark upon next week, for which he has yet to be "pre-imbursed".)  Do I wait until after Christmas, when funding loosens up considerably?  Will it really make a difference?

I think you should wait, personally.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:44 AM »
Hey MBW, I was thinking about you this morning. Did you apply to Washington and Lee or George Mason? Those apps are free.

I don't know if it'll make a difference if you apply now or after Christmas. I would guess that it might be better to apply now so you can be reviewed or at least in line before the Dec test takers.

And I think they make why X's just to see who cares enough to take the time to write them.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »

MBW -- how many have you sent in so far? I feel like with the last batch you sent in, you hedged your bets rather well, no?

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »
And I think they make why X's just to see who cares enough to take the time to write them.

Yeah...  I had every intention of applying to U.Michigan and U.Penn, but I kept putting off those "optional" essays.  My procrastination did end up saving me those application fees, which is a decent chunk of change.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 08:09:17 AM »
Blue, good call on this thread.
It's a hit.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 08:13:44 AM »
Yay, I'm glad!

::facilitates community::

mbw

• TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 08:18:06 AM »
I have 18 apps out (16 still "live"), but only six are outside of the T20.  I was thinking of applying to 4 to 6 more, in the T40-50s.

I agree that I should probably get them out before the December takers, although I wonder if the late date of the test will lead to a post-Christmas release (last year, the test was on Dec. 1, and we got the results on the 20th/21st - this year, with the test on the sixth, the Friday before Christmas will be the 19th - less than two weeks later.)  I could get them all lined up and ready to go, and hit "send" should the test come out early.  If not, payday is on the 24th for us, and I could just send them out then.

I haven't applied to W&L or GMU, the former because the application is just such a hassle for me, due in part to my "throw-myself-in-front-of-nukes" legal issues, and the latter, because GMU is so bloody right wing. 

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
W&L is a pain, but don't you already have those addenda written?  And I know what you mean about GMU...but I still applied for the law & econ program, but the political factor will play a huge part in my decision should I get in.  But it's so close to DC, really it might not matter.  I'll just hang with my other liberal friends in the city.