Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rejected? Why??  (Read 3433 times)

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rejected? Why??
« on: December 08, 2008, 04:31:44 AM »
I received a rejection letter that was three sentences about their tough decision and to say sorry. Can I write a letter back to them and ask specifically what it was about my application that warrented the rejection? I was in the lower tier of the numbers but had some great soft factors. I am at peace with the rejection but just want to know exactly what it was that tipped their decision.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Rejected? Why??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »
I would strongly suggest you not do so. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
I would strongly suggest you not do so. 

Yeah, I would say you shouldn't do that.  I would think, from what you said, that it was your numbers. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »
I'm going to go against the crowd and say go for it. Just to see what happens. :D

I kind of agree...*if* you have no intention of reapplying, what could it hurt.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
Yeah, I agree.
They already dinged you, what is there to lose?

Top Cat

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
The letter you will receive:

Dear Applicant:

While we appreciate your decision to apply to XXX Law School, we are limited in the number of applicants we can accept for the incoming class of students.  While we recognize the achivements you have accomplished thus far, due to limitations in class size, we regret to inform you that we must reject your application at this time. No, seriously, it's not you- it's us.

Sincerely,
Walter A. Adcomm, III

The ensuing phone call to a friend, who happens to be an adcomm at a different school:

-You won't believe what I got in the mail today.  Somebody we rejected sent us a letter wanting to know why we couldn't take them.

-Really?  Did you give them that BS about class limitations?

-Well, yeah.  It's just kind of presumptious that people want an individualized letter telling them exactly why we couldn't take them.  I mean, come on, they were below our medians- how did they get this far in the process?

-That is kind of sad, come to think about it.  Who is this person, anyway?  I want to make sure we don't have this guy coming to our law school and demanding an individualized letter from the teacher every time he doesn't get an A+.

Think it couldn't happen?  Who knows, maybe it couldn't... I wouldn't risk it.  Not considering they will never give you the real reason- your numbers weren't up to snuff.
University of Kentucky 1L

LSN

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
There's nothing to lose right now, but circumstances can change.  Maybe OP will want to reapply in the next cycle and wants to reapply to this school.  That kind of call is off-putting to admissions offices.

Also, admissions offices from different schools talk.  I'd hate to become "that girl" after making a call like the aforementioned. 

Soft factors don't necessarily overcome weak numbers at a school, but they can just provide context to your achievements and maybe give you the edge over someone with similar or the same numbers.  So, your softs may still be strong, but ultimately admissions is closer to a numbers game.

Good luck!

ETA: Lucas beat me to some of the reasons too :)
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 05:18:11 PM »
The letter you will receive:

Dear Applicant:

While we appreciate your decision to apply to XXX Law School, we are limited in the number of applicants we can accept for the incoming class of students.  While we recognize the achivements you have accomplished thus far, due to limitations in class size, we regret to inform you that we must reject your application at this time. No, seriously, it's not you- it's us.

Sincerely,
Walter A. Adcomm, III

The ensuing phone call to a friend, who happens to be an adcomm at a different school:

-You won't believe what I got in the mail today.  Somebody we rejected sent us a letter wanting to know why we couldn't take them.

-Really?  Did you give them that BS about class limitations?

-Well, yeah.  It's just kind of presumptious that people want an individualized letter telling them exactly why we couldn't take them.  I mean, come on, they were below our medians- how did they get this far in the process?

-That is kind of sad, come to think about it.  Who is this person, anyway?  I want to make sure we don't have this guy coming to our law school and demanding an individualized letter from the teacher every time he doesn't get an A+.

Think it couldn't happen?  Who knows, maybe it couldn't... I wouldn't risk it.  Not considering they will never give you the real reason- your numbers weren't up to snuff.

TITCR, definitely. I doubt adcoms talk all that much, but they might share stories of particularly memorable applicants, you don't want to end up being one of those. Best case, they ignore you or send you the nice note Lucas posted. Worst case, well he outlined that above. Really it's a lose-lose.
Best of luck to everyone!

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »
If your numbers are in a schools "lower tier" chances are you will get rejected. I'm not sure why you're surprised or confused.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 10:44:47 PM »
Everyone thinks that they have great soft factors.