Law School Discussion

ITT We Reassure One Another 'Bout Finals

Re: ITT We Reassure One Another 'Bout Finals
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2008, 09:19:18 AM »
I feel so squiggy right now after botching a practice exam answer or too. 

This, among other reasons, is why I have never done practice exams ever in law school

Wow, that's brass.  I'm far too terrified to have done that.  I'm good, but I'm not that good.  Then again, I'm not really sure I'm good.

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

This, among other reasons, is why I have never done practice exams ever in law school

Wait, really?  I know that hasn't worked out too badly for you, either, please explain.

I actually found taking a practice test last night comforting.  I actually knew some stuff, which I didn't think was the case.

I knew some stuff too, but had trouble making it into a coherent answer in the time allotted.  I ended up with a couple half paragraphs and the outline of a third with a liberal sprinkling of profanities.  I'll probably leave out the profanities tomorrow.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2008, 09:23:12 AM »
Maybe you should leave them.

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 09:28:51 AM »
Maybe you should leave them.

I promise to do so if I'm still convinced in 24 hours that I'm in bad shape.  I know you'll hold me to it.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 09:38:13 AM »

Wait, really?  I know that hasn't worked out too badly for you, either, please explain.

I actually found taking a practice test last night comforting.  I actually knew some stuff, which I didn't think was the case.

I save it for the exam. I donít like doubting myself or comparing myself to other model answers. I study, I THINK through problems, but I have never, in 4 years, done a practice exam or even written out anything for non points given practice exams in class. I just save it for the exam and go. There is plenty of time afterwards to doubt myself, so I donít bother doing it before hand. I have no doubt there is benefit in it, but that is just not how I study. Plus I'm dyslexic, writing is a time consuming, frustrating, agonizing thing for me, i save that for when its worth something real. Iím best when I am not scripted, shoot from the hip and go with the flow. Itís just what works for me Ė donít try this at home kids.

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2008, 09:42:27 AM »
If I shoot from the hip, I usually shoot my hip.

No matter the subject (I have graduate degrees in science), practicing is gold for me.  I go through six inevitable stages on the route to victory:  1) terror, 2) false sense of security, 3) slightly less acute terror,  4) resignation, 5) regret and 6) pleasant surprise.  I won't say it works every time, but I will say that I've never seen it work any other way.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »
I think it makes sense.  I'm actually glad I didn't do these earlier in the semester -- before I'd really gone over everything.  I had practice midterms in Property and Torts, and those sent me into paroxysms of anxiety.  But I'd only outlined/reviewed up through easements and cause-in-fact, so what did I expect?

That said, I'm still going to do practice problems.

So, tm, what's my assignment for today?

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
please assign her with the task of reassuring me of my inevitable triumph.  she needs to study no more, she has already destroyed several practice exams. 

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2008, 10:01:45 AM »
I think it makes sense.  I'm actually glad I didn't do these earlier in the semester -- before I'd really gone over everything.  I had practice midterms in Property and Torts, and those sent me into paroxysms of anxiety.  But I'd only outlined/reviewed up through easements and cause-in-fact, so what did I expect?

That said, I'm still going to do practice problems.

So, tm, what's my assignment for today?

what's your finals schedule look like again?  this format please:

date     exam     what you've done for it already     what you think you have left to do

12/10 -- Ks (closed book).  You know what I've done as of last night?  I have four good practice exam problems, I could probably use more review.

12/15 -- Property (open).  I'm 3/4+ the way through a REALLY spectacularly detailed outline that I've been doing from scratch.  Need to finish (would probably take a full day?), do the reading I skipped for the last class, and do practice exams.

12/18 -- Torts (open).  I have to finish outlining calculating damages, negligence defenses, and the very little products liability we got to, but this is easy because she provided a template and gives us summary presentations of each lecture/concept (so it's kinda already done for me).  I need to, uh, learn Torts.

Doable?  I think that today and tomorrow I need to spend at least a little time not on Ks both for sanity and to get *&^% done.

dischord

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »
Yes. 

Should I go over outlines/notes again?  Or the hornbook?  Hmm.