Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Avoid Furman  (Read 2960 times)

artemish85

• View Profile
    • Email
Avoid Furman
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:02:40 AM »
For those in Upstate, SC, do not take the LSAT at Furman.  You could either be in a room with nice desks and plenty of room or stuffed in an auditorium with the fold up desks that aren't big enough to support a sheet of 8x11 paper.  There will also be a student on either side of you and you will invariably bump elbows with one another during the test.  These guys were not prepared at all to administer the LSAT and I honestly believe that they recruited their proctors from the local soup kitchen on test day morning.  These women talked throughout the entire test and had great difficulty reading the instructions.  Even when asked between sections to keep the noise down, they continued to be a disturbance.  Also, they kept walking in and out of the room during the stest and the "master proctor" or whatever you call the lady who was not working in the cafeteria that day, came in during the middle of a section and conversed with her cohorts which was probably disturbing to everyone in the room.  Unfortunately, I was sitting front and center.   

Even if you life on-campus at Furman, go to South Carolina for the test.   

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Avoid Furman
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
oh man, I feel bad for you.
I took my LSAT in Hayword, ca, and their place sucked a lot too. People just don't understand the importance of making test room convenient for test-takers. It does influence the performance if you are stuffed between people almost bumping elbows, or their shaking legs (I hate those -)
If it is a real concern to you, you can also complain to lsac and take test again w/o counting this score.

anyway, good luck!

artemish85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:47:40 PM »
It was quite a learning experience.  The Furman LSAT was in October and I retook Last week at U. of So Carolina and they did a bang up job.  Some guys on another board started a page dedicated to reviewing LSAT test centers and anyone is permitted to post their own experiences.  Here's the link:

http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/LSAT_Test_Centers

artemish85

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
7 point improvement.  Now I need to find a way to explain my higher score without seeming whiny.  To anyone who reads this thread and is planning to take the LSAT:  Prepare for a less than ideal test environment.  Try taking practice tests in an uncomfortable seated position and with minimal desk space.  Practicing with background noise will also be helpful. 

neon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »
Congratulations on the improvement!
I improved 6 points when I retook the test, and noone asked me about the reason of improvement. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may just say in your addendum to the score about bad testing conditions.
good luck!

bnoble318

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
F Furman! Purple Pansies...oh, wait, i'm letting football get in the way of serious discussion...sorry...but that sucks for real.

I took mine the first time and had to deal with an industrial air conditioner going in an old cafeteria room...and the desks were textured, so our writing sample was really funny looking.
3.24/165

IN: Tennessee , Drexel, UGA, Mercer, Alabama South Carolina, Tulane, DePaul...scholarships at all, but dont feel like listing them...

WAITING:  W&L, GA State, W&M, Temple