Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does the second semester suck any less?  (Read 5677 times)

sstar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Does the second semester suck any less?
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 10:55:36 PM »

And FWIW we openly mock the people who are on Law Review, especially when they whine about being busy. They brought all that cite-checking upon themselves. Again, if they were the only ones getting jobs I guess the dynamic would change a bit.

that's especially funny coming from a choir boy :D....... great performance the other day.
T'50 Class of 2011

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 02:31:02 AM »

And FWIW we openly mock the people who are on Law Review, especially when they whine about being busy. They brought all that cite-checking upon themselves. Again, if they were the only ones getting jobs I guess the dynamic would change a bit.

that's especially funny coming from a choir boy :D....... great performance the other day.

Dude, you're wrecking my image.  I just had someone on TLS tell me I was the most annoying troll ever, so maybe I should scale it back a bit and put a little more time into studying... [edit... she's a 0L, so I feel less alarmed now.] Maybe people just need a good a cappella group to sing them sweet Rastafarian versions of holiday songs.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

stricly bricly

• Sr. Citizen
  • berkeley 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »
whoa!!!!!!!!

also, this OP has been running through my head for the past two weeks.  good thing i am taking a paltry 14 units this time.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »
And FWIW we openly mock the people who are on Law Review, especially when they whine about being busy. They brought all that cite-checking upon themselves.
People on law review openly mock you guys for being too stupid to get on law review. 

Wow. Do you listen to yourself?

[quote
 Actually, no, because people on my law review aren't childish.

Right. Because writing a note and doing a cite-checking packet magically filters out the childish people. It certainly seems like it. See supra quote 1. 

I don't know why you'd mock someone for winning a competition;

Because it's a time-honored tradition? Because it's all in good fun?

it is lame to "openly mock" your peers. Period.

Do you have ANY sense of humor? Sheesh. Get over yourself. Telling people that they must be stupid if they didn't write on to law review is exactly why people like to mock people on law review.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
We just do our best to keep things in perspective, that's all.  It's healthy not to take oneself too seriously.  If my friends on Law Review really did mock me for being a dummy I would mock them right back at karaoke night. In fact, I would mock and roll them all night long if that's what it takes to make law school a more enjoyable place to spend a few years.  And taboos, like prestige, are overrated.  I like my school because we get good jobs and can help each other out in the process... knowing what our friends who didn't get OCI jobs have for gpas is like knowing what they did before they came to school... it lets us figure out what else they can aim for and who they can contact. They don't need to talk to anyone or share information, but it can help them if they're comfortable doing so.

I understand this probably isn't a normal law school culture I've described... people who naturally prefer something else have plenty of opportunities to pursue elsewhere. No need to hate something that's different from what you've experienced.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »
People on law review openly mock you guys for being too stupid to get on law review.

Quote from: Stole Your Nose! on Today at 11:30:12 AM
[quote

Right. Because writing a note and doing a cite-checking packet magically filters out the childish people. It certainly seems like it. See supra quote 1.

You missed the whole damn point, goaliechica.  The counter to "you brought it on yourself" is that "you tried to bring it on yourself; you just weren't good enough to get on," but I don't think that, and I don't know anyone on law review who does. It's pretty damn high schoolish. The point was that I find it astonishing that people would mock someone for getting on law review or not.

Woah. what makes you think I tried to get on law review?  I've actually got a sweet spot on our enviro journal through a separate writeon competition... one semester into it so far and I've found it fascinating.  Got a great GULC prof re-publishing an article I'm really interested in, and I get to work with a few other students on putting it together in time for the April symposium in DC, where I'll get to meet a bunch of public-interest folks and schmooze at will.  For what I'm looking to do (not straight corporate work), it's better than cite-checking. Hence, me and my anti-cite-checking nature can mock all over my friends who prefer cite-checking (or at least the noted benefits that come from putting Law Review or another labor-intensive journal on your resume).  I never said it wasn't rewarding, just that thinking there's a true hierarchy in law school is silly.  Different strokes for different folks.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »

Quote from: Stole Your Nose! on Today at 11:30:12 AM
[quote

You missed the whole damn point, goaliechica.  The counter to "you brought it on yourself" is that "you tried to bring it on yourself; you just weren't good enough to get on," but I don't think that, and I don't know anyone on law review who does. It's pretty damn high schoolish. The point was that I find it astonishing that people would mock someone for getting on law review or not.

Yeah, see observationalist's comment. As someone who didn't do the write-on competition myself, I would not find "you were too stupid to get law review!" to be an effective burn, but maybe that's just me. Edit: You'd be better off mocking us for being lazy. And as it happens, I don't mock my law review friends, but they do plenty of good-natured self-mocking about how they never should have signed up for so much drudgery. Because, you know, they have a sense of humor about the fact that they signed on for something that kind of sucks just because it will look good on their resumes.

Well, there is that one guy who just loooves legal scholarship, but nobody likes him anyway  :P

Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
I think that "you were too stupid to get on LR" is a midly effective burn, and Stole Your Nose! used it effectively in a sardonic, childish manner to point out how inane observationist's comment seemed.  Making fun of anyone's choices in LS -- or life, for that matter -- is simply a bad choice.  I don't make fun of people for not working hard, not drinking, or not being, in my estimations, intelligent.  

It's a bad move all around.  Arrogant, stupid, alienating.

As others have said, it requires the presumption that the person tried to get on LR, but it's a useful presumption for the overwhelming majority of gunners -- plus or minus a few slackers and "quality of life" types.  I would be humbled and bummed out by not making LR, and you could definitely make fun of me for it, if such a thing happens (as I hope it won't), and I would take it to heart.

:'(

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 02:08:13 PM »
You also missed the point.  It would just be a general playground-style response; not an individual comment tailored to you. It just seems toolish to openly mock people for choosing different extracurriculars. It sounds different in the context you just gave. You didn't make it seem like you and your friends just play around in the original comment, but rather that the people not on law review openly mock the people on law review.  Which doesn't seem like the awesome collegial atmosphere you describe.

Ahh... I'm sorry that's the impression I originally gave. Did not mean to confuse... I'm really not so vindictive that I would bash on the cool kids because they wouldn't let me into their clerkship-aiming clique.  If one of my friends grows up to be a Senator someday, I don't want her thinking of me as that bully that used to stick gum in her hair.  In 10 years we'll hopefully all be back here making fun of the current law students for subjecting themselves to such an intense three years anyways.

Edit.  I won't make fun of you Wally, as long as you don't make fun of me for going to VanderbilTTT.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 02:14:24 PM »
Edit.  I won't make fun of you Wally, as long as you don't make fun of me for going to VanderbilTTT.

wally's too nice to make fun of you guys, but if you fail to take down GULC and explode the T14 nonsense once and for all you will incur my wrath the same way UT and UCLA have.

Gah, I really don't think that's going to happen... USNews is a beast.  I guess I will start preparing to mock your wrath if you make good on your word.