Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does the second semester suck any less?  (Read 5591 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Does the second semester suck any less?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »
But 1L sucks far worse than the latter years.......

1L spring was my easiest semester so far.

2L fall has been worst. I had 300+ hours of law review work, wrote a case note, had a legal writing class, and went through the stressful job hunt.  The time commitment has been reversed, though.  Now that finals are here, my stress level has strangely decreased.

1L they scare you.
2L they work you.
3L they bore you.

But it always depends on your school, classes, profs, etc.

This was my experience, as well.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Lucero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »
1L sucks the most, fall of 2L is the most work, and after that its a breeze - the bar and the golf course with a couple of classes sprinkled in.

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »
oh it never stops sucking. and that applies to what comes after law school, too.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 02:50:28 PM »
I'm a 3L and 1L spring sucks worse than 1L fall, but 2L fall is the worst of all the semesters so far. 
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
The last two weeks of every semester are a pain, and 1L memo/brief deadlines usually ruined a weekend each.  I thought things lightened up a lot 1L spring semester with our class, even though they added on a course.  People weren't as worried about the profs that do Socratic, most of us figured out how to brief/read less and prioritize on learning the materials that will be on the final exam, and the excitement over 1L summer jobs made it easier to worry less on grades and focus more on learning the material.  It's nothing like the low-stress life of a 2L (again, except for right now), but it was a huge relief to be done with the first semester and we celebrated accordingly.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

3-Elle

• Sr. Citizen
  • I secretly love passive voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:51 PM »
What's it like around the end of January when everyone gets their grades? Does the class dynamic change at all, or does no one talk about it at all?
Emory 3L

imwithhappy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 04:28:12 PM »
What's it like around the end of January when everyone gets their grades? Does the class dynamic change at all, or does no one talk about it at all?

My 2L and 3L friends say that people you thought were your friends suddenly become part of "this group" or "that group".    Or those that made law review, and those that didn't.

University of Oklahoma '11

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »
I never noticed any change in dynamics after grades came out.

Anyway, 2L fall sucks way, way worse than 1L for me.  Even my Christmas break I have school things I have to do. But I'm optimistic it will only be better from February on out for the rest of law school. :)
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 05:12:34 PM »

Anyway, 2L fall sucks way, way worse than 1L for me.  Even my Christmas break I have school things I have to do. But I'm optimistic it will only be better from February on out for the rest of law school. :)
\
Keep beliving that, dreams are all you have left to live for 3L

::spreads joy::
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »

\
Keep beliving that, dreams are all you have left to live for 3L

::spreads joy::

Haha.

My 2L and 3L friends say that people you thought were your friends suddenly become part of "this group" or "that group".    Or those that made law review, and those that didn't.

This depends on where you go to school.  We're fairly open with each other about how we do on grades, where we're looking for work, etc.  If I went somewhere where I thought I was competing with my classmates for jobs, then how we stacked up for grades would matter more and I guess we'd be less inclined to talk about them.

And FWIW we openly mock the people who are on Law Review, especially when they whine about being busy. They brought all that cite-checking upon themselves. Again, if they were the only ones getting jobs I guess the dynamic would change a bit.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10