Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: NYC evening schools, nontrad, and BigLaw  (Read 2290 times)

MrDrysdale

• View Profile
NYC evening schools, nontrad, and BigLaw
« on: December 06, 2008, 09:16:37 PM »
I am trying to determine the cost-benefit of Rutgers-Newark PT versus Fordham PT (and possibly BLS).  (To head off all the "go T14 or stay home," I can't afford to quit work and go T14 FT---wife and 2 small kids.)  (Me: 42yo, corp banker/credit, MBA)

Since I would get NJ in-state tuition, the comparison is debt of $65k at R-Nwk vs. $120k at Fordham.  As I am already in banking for many years (and generally like finance), I am motivated to go into a corporate law (M&A, securities law, corp bankruptcy, etc).  Fordham (and to some extent BLS) appears to have a strong course offering and a strong alumni network in this area.  R-Nwk doesn't appear to offer much in this regard.  My question: will my age prevent me from landing BigLaw and thus make the extra $60K of debt for Fordham a big waste?  If not, at what level of debt does R-Nwk (or BLS) make sense?  Any thoughts from someone either in BigLaw (or a recruiter in this area), rather than 0L-3L, would be most welcome.

Eddiev31

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NYC evening schools, nontrad, and BigLaw
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:27:26 PM »
Hey what's going on...I'm considering the same thing except I'm 36.....work as a commercial banker for a bank in NYC. Looking to go to SHU law....Married 3 years and 1 kid on the way....have you taken LSATs yet??

MrDrysdale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
The sense I am getting from various sources (blog posts as well as the Henderson and Morriss National Law Journal article from last April about regional law schools) is that it is better to go to a regional law school with plenty of aid rather than to go to a higher ranked school full-ticket.  I suspect that Fordham realizes that most students don't buy into this idea and thus benefits by charging full-ticket for an education that should be much cheaper (based on a cost-benefit calculation). 

th0409

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 12:21:50 PM »
My question: will my age prevent me from landing BigLaw and thus make the extra $60K of debt for Fordham a big waste?  If not, at what level of debt does R-Nwk (or BLS) make sense? 

I'll answer this one portion of the question.
Your age will not be a discriminator for hiring you. If you're thinking in terms of why an employer would hire someone 20 years older than the average 1 year associate it is because of this.
1. You've already been in the working world and you understand what it takes to make a business work and how to pay your dues. A new associate out of UG/Law school will still have to be taught how to work in the real world (for the most part)
2. Most new associates are going to try and ping around from office to office and not be too concerned with setting down roots and working at 1 firm. Law Firms really do want someone that is in for the long haul. You are less likely to continue to uproot your family.
3. An employer knows that because of your prior work history they won't have to hold your hand when it comes to leadership and taking the initiative. Which means that clients won't have to pay to teach you how to be a grown up.
4. Because of the type of work you've done you should be a great team-player and be used to working in groups and working across the aisle for the purpose of getting the work done.

Don't ever let your age be something you have to explain or make excuses for let it be your benefit.
IMHO

OG

• ... it's good to be the King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
My question: will my age prevent me from landing BigLaw and thus make the extra $60K of debt for Fordham a big waste?  If not, at what level of debt does R-Nwk (or BLS) make sense? 

I'll answer this one portion of the question.
Your age will not be a discriminator for hiring you. If you're thinking in terms of why an employer would hire someone 20 years older than the average 1 year associate it is because of this.
1. You've already been in the working world and you understand what it takes to make a business work and how to pay your dues. A new associate out of UG/Law school will still have to be taught how to work in the real world (for the most part)
2. Most new associates are going to try and ping around from office to office and not be too concerned with setting down roots and working at 1 firm. Law Firms really do want someone that is in for the long haul. You are less likely to continue to uproot your family.
3. An employer knows that because of your prior work history they won't have to hold your hand when it comes to leadership and taking the initiative. Which means that clients won't have to pay to teach you how to be a grown up.
4. Because of the type of work you've done you should be a great team-player and be used to working in groups and working across the aisle for the purpose of getting the work done.

Don't ever let your age be something you have to explain or make excuses for let it be your benefit.
IMHO

I certainly hope biglaw thinks the way you do!!