Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I Screwed Up  (Read 1775 times)

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
I Screwed Up
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »
Attempted to take the LSAT this morning and stupidly decided to take antihistamine to fight the effects of my cold. Bad Idea; Left the test center before finishing the third section and canceled my score. If I decide to take the February LSAT do you think I will be in any position to be accepted or is that when they only accept the cream of the crop? I was scoring in the 164 range, so I do not expect that to decrease and I have a 3.25. The schools I am looking at are Seton Hall, Rutgers,Brooklyn, Cardozo, American, and my three reaches being Fordham, Georgetown, and George Washington.

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I Screwed Up
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
Please help before I jump out my window!!!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:13:44 PM »
Do not jump out the window. I'm sorry to hear what happened to you this morning. It happens, fight on. My recomendation is call the schools to see how long they accept LSAT scores. If they will accept your February score in March, then apply anyway... Worst case senario is that you do not get into those schools, but have a solid score whereas if you use that score to apply for next year's cycle you can get accepted. Each year is different, so just b/c you didn't  get accepted this year does not mean you won't next year, especially if you fall within that schools' range of scores. If you didn't get in, ask if it was b/c you applied late and if you would have had a better chance to get in if you applied early.

Also you need to ask yourself if you would go to a lower ranked school. A 164 would get you into some solid high Tier 2's like ohhh Villanova, Indylaw and Temple, you may even still have a shot at the schools you applied to, Seton Hall, Rutgers especially...
 Like I said call the school and ask them... of course it would be better to wait till next year to be first on the admission list, but if you really want to start next fall, just apply... and take the exam and see what happens. Don't expect to get in this b/c when you do... it will be that much sweeter.. Good luck... I'm graduating this year!! YEAAAA! 
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
Thanks for the quick response. I closed the window. I am really questioning if law is for me or if I should go with my business major. Maybe it was for the better. Thanks again

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
How do you feel about possibly taking the year off? If you apply early next cycle, with a 164/3.25, that would position you not only for acceptances, but also for scholarship money. Even if you get into schools for next fall with a February LSAT, your shot at scholarship money is minimal.

I'm sorry about what happened at the test today - try to consider all the possible options for what to do next, not necessary the quickest solution.

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
Yea that is exactly what I was hoping for (scholarship money) and was not sure of my chances that late in the application process. Do you think my chances are that minimal? What if I just apply to Seton Hall which is my number one school and see how I do(to avoid wasting $700). If I do not get it or do not get a satisfiable amount of scholarship money I can apply again early next cycle.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
Yea that is exactly what I was hoping for (scholarship money) and was not sure of my chances that late in the application process. Do you think my chances are that minimal? What if I just apply to Seton Hall which is my number one school and see how I do(to avoid wasting $700). If I do not get it or do not get a satisfiable amount of scholarship money I can apply again early next cycle.

At most schools, scholarship money starts being doled out from the beginning of the new year. With a February score, your application would most likely not be reviewed until late April, which means that most scholarship money would have been given out by the time your app is even reviewed. (Deposit deadlines are in late April or early May) The simple mathematics just don't work out in your favor with a Feb score.

My suggestion would be work on getting your LSAT even higher, retake in June, and then be all set for the next cycle, but if you're set on taking it in February, go for it. Just know that your cycle will probably not be optimal.

itzjulz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »
I'm sorry to hear!  Antihistimines like benadryl and such are never a good thing, but I completely understand your panic with wanting to take something since I've been sick all week.  Aside from a random spaz moment I had during the LG section, I think the test went fine

If the information you get from schools doesn't bode well for you taking the test in February and getting in for next fall, I agree with considering taking a year off.  Maybe do some research on dual degrees at the schools you're looking at?  If you're still interested in a business degree, you could get a large chunk of MBA requirements out of the way for a year, then start law school and end up with both degrees :)  Since Seton Hall is your number 1, maybe check with their law school and MBA admissions folks and see if something like that would be possible?
3.84/167

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
Let me tell you, from the perspective of an older person, there is no rush to get on with your life.  Take a year.  Maybe take two.  Maybe get a Masters Degree.  Law schools love that.  Maybe work for a couple of years then go back.  Law schools love that too.  You have a lot of options.  Don't think you have to follow the masses.  Good luck.  Don't jump.  
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 03:22:20 PM »
itzjulz hope you scored well. found the games section harder than usual, agree? Yea good think for my rationally thinking parents who told me not to worry, you have got your whole life ahead of you. thanks for all the advice. i might look into pursuing a masters, but it might not be worth getting started early (financially that is) since I can do it in four years if it go to law school for I am assuming about 30k less than if I took 5 years and got my masters first.