Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mechanical Pencils NOT ACCEPTED??  (Read 1059 times)

Slider

• Sr. Citizen
  • The only impossible journey is one u never begin
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Mechanical Pencils NOT ACCEPTED??
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:07:14 PM »

I was preparing my supplies for tomorrow and I just read on the test day instructions that mechanical pencils are not accepted!! what!!??

All these rules are getting ridiculous and excessive!

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Pencils NOT ACCEPTED??
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 09:11:16 PM »
It's not so much the lead they are worried about, but the mind control chips located just below the erasers.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
Why did you read the instructions for the first time the night before the test?
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 10:40:13 PM »
you probably should have read the instructions earlier...

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 03:28:43 AM »
I'm glad they banned mechanical pencils. I took quite a few timed PrepTests at the public library; I kept my focus through little kids screaming in the youth zone, older kids skateboarding right outside the window, and the intermittant chatter at the reference desk. Then came the girl with the click-pen. She sat at the table directly in front of me, and it started within 60 seconds of her arrival:

***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***    ***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***

*click*

My heart rate increased rapidly; I felt my blood pressure soar. I panicked as I imagined taking the LSAT while being pummeled by a sporadic set of percussive sound waves bent on preventing me from reading anything longer than six words. It was the only distraction able to break my concentration during my training; I wanted to beat the crap out of that girl and blow up her click-pen. I had to remind myself that no-one will have mechanical pens/pencils at the test, and I nearly fainted in relief as I got up to vomit in the restroom.

Good Luck on the LSAT; remember it's no harder than any Practice Test you've already taken!!!

Slider

• Sr. Citizen
  • The only impossible journey is one u never begin
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 04:05:28 PM »

I sat for the LSAT two years ago and if i'm not mistaken, mechanical pencils were permitted.
Major flaw in my reasoning. lol

but after sitting for that exam i think my pencil was the least of my worries!

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 04:35:22 PM »
I'm glad they banned mechanical pencils. I took quite a few timed PrepTests at the public library; I kept my focus through little kids screaming in the youth zone, older kids skateboarding right outside the window, and the intermittant chatter at the reference desk. Then came the girl with the click-pen. She sat at the table directly in front of me, and it started within 60 seconds of her arrival:

***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***

***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***    ***click-CLICK***   ***click-CLICK***

*click*

My heart rate increased rapidly; I felt my blood pressure soar. I panicked as I imagined taking the LSAT while being pummeled by a sporadic set of percussive sound waves bent on preventing me from reading anything longer than six words. It was the only distraction able to break my concentration during my training; I wanted to beat the crap out of that girl and blow up her click-pen. I had to remind myself that no-one will have mechanical pens/pencils at the test, and I nearly fainted in relief as I got up to vomit in the restroom.

Good Luck on the LSAT; remember it's no harder than any Practice Test you've already taken!!!

Hmm, I was thinking it might be because it's possible the MIT folks would embed a CCD camera in it to transmit the images to someone who comes up with the correct answers and sends them over to the west-coast folks who paid them a lot of money to get a 3-hour head start on the test.

I kinda figured if you were able to get 2 sections done and a quick review of them, you might be able to get a handful of additional questions right, which could be enough to bump your score up 2-3 points or more, which might get you into a school that you wouldn't have otherwise, or a merit scholarship. 

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
^^Wow, you've really thought that through!

SouthernElle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »
There was an urban legend in high school that people would write SAT answers on a little piece of paper and slip it inside their mechanical pencils, then fax/email it to test takers in later time zones. I suppose it's possible that someone thought this could happen... although I have to agree, the squeaky aspect probably would bother me much more than the very small possibility some kid next to me could be sneaking answers out.