Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admissions Strategy  (Read 1333 times)

sayanida

• View Profile
    • Email
Admissions Strategy
« on: December 05, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »
I don't know of a more suitable place to post this, since I am brand new to the forum, but here it goes.

I am a freshman at Seton Hall University and I am interested in getting into either NYU, Yale or Columbia Law School. As far as the LSAT goes, I will work on getting anywhere between 175-180. But, besides that, here are my goals and plans. Tell me if they are good or should be improved upon in any way.

1. Academics- Majors: Political Science and International Relations (3.5-4.0 gpa)
Minors: Russian Language, Business Law
University Honors Program
Certificates; United Nations Peacekeeping, Russian and Eastern European Studies, Paralegal Studies (NYU)
Courses to be taken: Public International Law, Constitutional Law, Introduction to US Law, Environemntal Law, Business Law, Legal Writing and Research, Moot Court, Law and Ethics, Civil Liberties, etc. (As many law-related courses as possible to fulfill the requirements of both degrees)

2. Work Experience: I intend on interning with UNA-USA, Elected officials and also a Think Tank or other NGO, working with the NJ County courts or state courts, a judge or a law firm as a volunteer intern, in addition to earning my paralegal certificate from NYU or Queens College and doing that part-time. I also would like to participate in a summer pre-law institute at Cornell or another university.

3. Extracurriculars- Honor Society memberships, Law Fraternity, Executive Board member of the Pre-Law Society, Editorial Board member of the Pre-Law Review, president and founder of several political clubs and student think tank editor of political newspaper, editor and founder of 2 undergraduate academic journals, Model UN, Mock Trial, Chair of Model UN Conference, Student Senator, member of SGA Executive Cabinet, member of 7 university committees and boards, Legislative Director for Future Voters of America, Radio and Televison Anchor, Analyst for business school newspaper, E-board member, 21st Century African Youth Movement, Jewish Student Union, Slavic Club treasurer and secretary, History Club president, leader for National Coalition Building Institute.

4. Awards, Scholarships and Fellowships intended; low-income, Hispanic and Middle Eastern (Argentina, Yemen, Syria)

I am open to any further suggestions. Thank you.   

TimMitchell

Re: Admissions Strategy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
Harvard and Stanford must feel so left out right now

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
 :D

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
EPIC FAIL!

Nobody likes Seton Hall, transfer to Rutgers and maybe you have a chance.

In the unlikely chance you're real, I'm willing to bet $10 your GPA will be below 3.0 and your LSAT below 165.
Best of luck to everyone!

TimMitchell

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:00:17 PM »
EPIC FAIL!

In the unlikely chance you're real, I'm willing to bet $10 your GPA will be below 3.0 and your LSAT below 165.

Jesus... I've heard New Yorkers hate people from Jersey, but damn....

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »
EPIC FAIL!

Jesus... I've heard New Yorkers everyone hates people from Jersey, but damn....

fixt.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

hmlee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 03:53:47 PM »
Wow it's like a Northeastern hate-fest in here... Go Midwest!

Gone

• Sr. Citizen
  • Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 07:10:55 PM »
Wow it's like a Northeastern hate-fest in here... Go Midwest!

hahahahahahahahahaha

youre funny, stick around
Best of luck to everyone!

sayanida

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 12:57:49 PM »
In response to those who posted, I just wanted to know if I had a good game plan laid out. For now, at least, I am maintaining an A in every course and the good thing about Seton Hall is that if you so choose, you can retake a course, but that is osmething people usually only do if they really must. Based on how I do this semester, I will know how to orient myself for the next semester.  And, in reply to the New Yorker, I am Brooklyn-born and bred; I live in Bensonhurst and come from a very NY Jewish and Italian family. I was also wondering if applying to law school as a paralegal with, say, 2-3 years experience, was a good idea and would be advantageous. And yes, I am real. I am just a freshman seeking advice on how I can orient myself throughout the upcoming years. Any further advice is welcome.

Thank you. 

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 01:12:18 PM »
IIRC, if you retake a course, LSAC will count both the old grade and the new grade, bringing your GPA down from what you thought it would be only counting the new grade. So don't depend on that.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.