Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you deal with a bad day?  (Read 875 times)

hmlee

• View Profile
    • Email
How do you deal with a bad day?
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
So I've been taking practice tests for a little while now and I was scoring pretty much consistently in the low to mid 170s which I was happy with. Then, today, I took two practice tests and scored a 167 and 164 respectively... Eeeek! I mean, granted, the tests I took today weren't exactly under ideal conditions... I was kind of freaking out about my LOR requests and got interrupted by talking co-workers a lot... but... still... I'm kind of worried now that I'm on a downward trend and am going to bomb the thing on Saturday...

Has this ever happened to anyone before? How did you deal with it? Should I just take tomorrow off? Or do more studying? I just don't know...

lou

• View Profile
Re: How do you deal with a bad day?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 12:08:52 AM »
Same thing happened to me this week. Granted, your scores (both high and low) are a few points above mine. But anyways, I just looked over the questions I missed until I rationalized why I missed the questions I did and made myself feel better. Took another practice test today and felt slightly better. But it's a little late for that now. So basically, make yourself feel better and then relax. Good luck.

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 01:43:10 AM »
Ahhh, the famed Letters Of Recommendation. These constitute the part of your application over which you have the least amount of control, so it's natural to be nervous about them. I would suggest getting the request forms to your recommenders ASAP.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot, you asked about the LSAT. Don't worry about it, and don't study Friday. Not even a little. Get to bed early, eat a proper breakfast, and do some gentle warmups before the test.

Good luck!

hmlee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »
What would you say constitutes a gentle warm-up tomorrow morning before the test? I don't want to overdo it, but I don't want to be in a brain fog either...

I've been waiting to give my LOR requests and everything to my recommenders, but as of yet haven't been able to get a meeting with any of them. It's the week before finals here and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I think my anxiety comes from the frustration of knowing that I'm all set to go as far as the requests go, but I really need to be able to meet with them!

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:47 PM »
I brought some logic games with me to the test center and did them as I sat outside the room, which probably freaked out the people around me, but I got a 175, so I guess it helped.

hmlee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 03:51:32 PM »
Were you particularly good or bad at logic games? What made you choose that section? At this point, I've improved my logic games score a *ton* and now it's only the LR that is dragging me down... On my two awful PTs yesterday, I got 2 wrong in each of the RCs (unusual for me), 1 and 3 wrong in the LGs (respectively), and a total of 9 and 10 wrong in the two LR sections combined on each of the tests... which is also something that hasn't really happened before. I used to max out at 4 wrong per LR, sometimes getting only -1.... I can't figure out if my diminished performance was based on yesterday's circumstances or because the LR sections were especially difficult on those tests...

I don't even know if there's a way to evaluate the toughness of individual sections of different LSATs...

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »
I used to be terrible at games, but by test day it was my best section. The reason I chose games is that the type of thinking required for the section is really specific, and unlike anything I've had to do before or plan on doing again. I had studied the techniques for RC and LR enough that practicing the morning of wasn't going to help me learn anything new. Personally, I thought doing a few games would just help get me mentally warmed up for the section on the test. At 8AM, you might not want to just go into the games section cold. I'm not sure if it helped at all, but I finished LG 15 minutes early and did the last 3 games twice to check my answers.

The best thing you can do is not stress yourself out for the actual test tomorrow.

El_Che

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • 0L Musings
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Start preparing for law school by dealing with a bad day the way that you will when you enter law school: Have a drink and watch something good.