Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! LSAT Handscoring question  (Read 1252 times)

femmelawren

• View Profile
    • Lawren
HELP! LSAT Handscoring question
« on: December 03, 2008, 09:37:21 PM »
My applications have been delayed because of a financial obligation I had to my undergraduate institution (my financial aid issues have recently been resolved, so this is no longer a problem, but it prevented me from sending my transcripts and going complete until now). I really don't want to delay my applications by requesting a handscoring of my October LSAT, but after handscoring it myself, I realized that I was marked incorrect for three questions I clearly answered correctly on my answer sheet. While my original score was fairly good and within range of all of my target schools, a rescoring would raise my score 3 points, which I think is a significant advantage. However, I am wondering if any potential advantage to be gained by the score increase will be negated by the additional delay it would cause. Advice?

eruffin

• View Profile
Re: HELP! LSAT Handscoring question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:59:47 PM »
I would argue three points would, in general, be worth the wait-thinking in terms of better school choice, higher chance of admission to targets, scholarship money, etc.  This of course might depend on how long LSAC takes--several months would probably change the calculation.  That said, you won't be applying early at this point anyway, so I don't see how a few weeks would hurt.

By the way, when you say you hand scored it yourself, do you just meant that you looked at the pdf of the answer sheet on Lsac?  If so, you might check with someone less biased in your favor just to be sure your judgment is sound.  Applying later with no boost would be the worst of both worlds.
3.65, 175

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:07:08 PM »
Getting my test handscored (for misbubbling) was the best decision I ever made. I initiated the process the day after the exam, but it only took 2 weeks after the normal scoring period to do.

Call them up and get it started!
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

femmelawren

• View Profile
    • Lawren
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:37:29 PM »
I would argue three points would, in general, be worth the wait-thinking in terms of better school choice, higher chance of admission to targets, scholarship money, etc.  This of course might depend on how long LSAC takes--several months would probably change the calculation.  That said, you won't be applying early at this point anyway, so I don't see how a few weeks would hurt.

By the way, when you say you hand scored it yourself, do you just meant that you looked at the pdf of the answer sheet on Lsac?  If so, you might check with someone less biased in your favor just to be sure your judgment is sound.  Applying later with no boost would be the worst of both worlds.

I agree. Thanks. I've had everything else related to my applications done since August and it has been killing me to wait for this financial aid nonsense, so I feel a lot of pressure to just send everything off, but you're probably right that a few weeks won't make that much of a difference. Hopefully it won't be longer than that though!

I did handscore the scanned copy of my answer sheet in comparison to the credited response chart provided by the LSAC. I was marked incorrectly for the first question in every section, but my answer sheet had the correct bubble clearly filled in for each. I figure it was probably some sort of glitch in the scoring machine, since they were all on the same line, but I had several objective parties double check for me and they all agree. I'll just wait a little longer before sending everything to the law schools. I hope the delays don't hurt my chances of a T5 admission offer!