Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting into T14 w/ low gpa  (Read 21372 times)

pocketaces

• View Profile
Getting into T14 w/ low gpa
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:24:06 PM »
Some background:

28 yrs old, non-URM (Pacific Islander)
LSAT: 172
BA Political Science: 2.8 gpa
MPA: 3.6 gpa
US Navy Officer: 4 years
Volunteer research for the Center for Disease Control in California, volunteer search and rescue for Red Cross, EMT, tutor for enlisted personnel going to college.
My dream schools are CCN, Gtown, the UCs, Virginia, Stanford (yea right).  I'm also applying to Fordham, GW, a few others.

Should i retake the LSAT? Are any of the dream schools possible? Is there anything else I should do, maybe apply to more safeties?  Thanks for your help.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Getting into T14 w/ low gpa
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:03:26 PM »
I don't think you should retake the LSAT.  Statistically, the odds are that you won't do as well.  172 is a great score as you already know.

I think you could probably get into NW and GULC with your numbers and softs.  It seems like one soft factor schools like is military experience.  The UCs might be more difficult since they tend to like higher GPA/lower LSAT type splitters rather than what you have. 

Is the 2.8 GPA your university GPA or your LSDAS GPA?  Those two numbers can sometimes be different once your transcripts are submitted to LSAC.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

senseless

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:00:24 AM »
Just make sure you write a good Personal Statement! ;)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
i wouldn't be surprised if you get into NU, UVa, and GULC...and possibly Mich too.
Columbia 3L

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 02:25:30 AM »
You have no worries...a masters degree and a stellar LSAT, with your background is enough to get you into any school. Your Poli-sci major is solid. Yale, Stanford and Berkeley rarely take anyone with below a 3.2 GPA, but you are the exact type of student who might be an exception. Hype up those soft factors...and if you can, take two or three extra courses (hard, upper-level ones like statistics, micro-econ, classics, psychology, English, calculus, etc, get A's, and send them in over the summer with an additional essay if you get waitlisted.

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
I think OP should probably skip out on the top 2-3 law schools, but plaster the top 20. Spend the money on a bunch of applications because with your numbers you can't tell where you'll land.  Also be sure to apply for at least one or two lower tier 1 schools.

Law schools like military experience because employers like military experience.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Georgetown is a dream school? Well, you're set then. The only other T14 that doesn't give a crap about GPA is Northwestern. My guess is that both of these schools will take you for your LSAT.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:21:17 PM »
You have no worries...a masters degree and a stellar LSAT, with your background is enough to get you into any school. Your Poli-sci major is solid. Yale, Stanford and Berkeley rarely take anyone with below a 3.2 GPA, but you are the exact type of student who might be an exception. Hype up those soft factors...and if you can, take two or three extra courses (hard, upper-level ones like statistics, micro-econ, classics, psychology, English, calculus, etc, get A's, and send them in over the summer with an additional essay if you get waitlisted.

I would not listen to any of this advice and if anything do the exact opposite

steelerfan82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 03:19:25 AM »
Some background:

Volunteer research for the Center for Disease Control in California, volunteer search and rescue for Red Cross, EMT, tutor for enlisted personnel going to college.

My dream schools are CCN, Gtown, the UCs, Virginia, Stanford (yea right).  I'm also applying to Fordham, GW, a few others.

Should i retake the LSAT? Are any of the dream schools possible? Is there anything else I should do, maybe apply to more safeties?  Thanks for your help.

No, don't retake it, period.  Your LSAT is good.  I don't think you should have a problem getting into any of them except Stanford, and even then, it doesn't hurt to try.  I mean the only reason why you'd might want to apply to safeties  would be to extract as much financial aid as possible.

The master's doesn't normally hold much weight, but in your case it may be a little different. With the things I put in bold, and your LSAT it would be much easier to admit you.

Good luck.
Thanks for your service by the way :)
GO STEELERS!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
Some background:

No, don't retake it, period.  Your LSAT is good.  I don't think you should have a problem getting into any of them except Stanford, and even then, it doesn't hurt to try.  I mean the only reason why you'd might want to apply to safeties  would be to extract as much financial aid as possible.

The master's doesn't normally hold much weight, but in your case it may be a little different. With the things I put in bold, and your LSAT it would be much easier to admit you.

Good luck.
Thanks for your service by the way :)

While he could be admitted, I think the bolded in your post is an absolute stretch and not very good advice. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French