Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it offensive to refer to females as "Chicks?"  (Read 2753 times)

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Is it offensive to refer to females as "Chicks?"
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:07 PM »
I like the British term 'bird' applied to a female.  For that matter, I also like their use of the word 'fit' to mean 'hot'.

ooh me too! I also liked it when this British boy told me I had a "nice bottom."  It was so proper, I loled
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:06 PM »
I like the British term 'bird' applied to a female.  For that matter, I also like their use of the word 'fit' to mean 'hot'.

ooh me too! I also liked it when this British boy told me I had a "nice bottom."  It was so proper, I loled

TPIUWOP
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

CaptainSparrow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »
If "boys" is okay because "boys" and "men" are both humans, then why isn't "chicks" okay because both "chicks" and "female homo sapiens" are both animals?

because the latter is dehumanizing, presumably.

i once knew a lefty feminist who used the term "chicks" to refer to women.  it confused the living hell out of me.

I'm a lefty-ish feminist-ish person.  I think taking your husband's name is sexist.  I think a lot of marriage-related traditions are sexist.  I think a lot of the ways that men speak to and about women are sexist.

And I use the term chick all the time.  My dearest female friend, a greater leftist and feminist than I, is not offended by the term.  I found it interesting that the lecture I got about using that term was from a man.

Chick is just old-fashioned slang.  I wouldn't recommend someone speak that way at work, but I see nothing wrong with saying "this chick I met ...." 

I certainly wouldn't put chick in the same category of "offensive" as a lot of the words I see used for females, e.g. b-i-t-c-h, ho (or is it hoe?), whore, female private part.  People use those terms all the time.  The first two are even used when someone isn't intending to insult women.

If a man's most un-gentlemanly attribute is referring to women as "chicks," I'd say that's a pretty great man (or boy, or guy, or dude).

So tell me more about this expectations of how we the men ought to behave.
Preptests: 167, 163, 164, 160

Dec 08:

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:26:46 PM »
how about just "women" or "ladies?"

or "babes" if they're especially foxy!  ;D

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 05:24:27 AM »
If "boys" is okay because "boys" and "men" are both humans, then why isn't "chicks" okay because both "chicks" and "female homo sapiens" are both animals?

because the latter is dehumanizing, presumably.

i once knew a lefty feminist who used the term "chicks" to refer to women.  it confused the living hell out of me.

I'm a lefty-ish feminist-ish person.  I think taking your husband's name is sexist.  I think a lot of marriage-related traditions are sexist.  I think a lot of the ways that men speak to and about women are sexist.

And I use the term chick all the time.  My dearest female friend, a greater leftist and feminist than I, is not offended by the term.  I found it interesting that the lecture I got about using that term was from a man.

Chick is just old-fashioned slang.  I wouldn't recommend someone speak that way at work, but I see nothing wrong with saying "this chick I met ...." 

I certainly wouldn't put chick in the same category of "offensive" as a lot of the words I see used for females, e.g. b-i-t-c-h, ho (or is it hoe?), whore, female private part.  People use those terms all the time.  The first two are even used when someone isn't intending to insult women.

If a man's most un-gentlemanly attribute is referring to women as "chicks," I'd say that's a pretty great man (or boy, or guy, or dude).

So tell me more about this expectations of how we the men ought to behave.
Well you're probably kidding but - where to start?  Your gender needs a lot of work. 
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 08:56:29 AM »

I like early-mid 20th century terms for women:
Like broads and trixies.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 09:15:47 AM »

Like broads and trixies.

so then, a foxy chick is a mutant cross between two animals? 

whoa, double-offensive ftw! 
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »
Yea “chicks” can be offensive, so I try whenever possible to avoid any misunderstanding and to use non loaded terms for women like: honey, female dog, and the ubiquitous “you people.”

:D :D :D

<-- read thread solely to look for Matthies' response and was not disappointed
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

econtutorNV

• Sr. Citizen
  • Watch your ankles
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 11:45:01 PM »

Like broads and trixies.

This is going to be my word of the day tomorrow.
UGPA-3.33 LSAT-164

In- Tulane ($$), Baylor, USD, Santa Clara ($), IU-B ($), Loyola
Out-Minnesota. UIUC
WL-Notre Dame, Hastings
Pending- Emory, WUSTL, W & L, Davis, GULC PT, GMU, GW PT, UC-I (gotta dream, right?)

bridgemonkey405

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN - 174/3.7
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »
Can we vote on this? Mine vote is for "dames". It's like a Fonzie-esque classy term. Classier than "broads" anyways.