Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you ever get away without fully outlining a class?  (Read 7298 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Can you ever get away without fully outlining a class?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »
We don't use exam software at all!

We had this big controversy in  my Civ Pro class about how we COULD use an electronic version of our outline but we could NOT use control-F, and my prof sent out this very stern letter about how if we used control-F she would see to it that we were expelled or something. I thought it was pretty stupid.

I get so irritated about this kind of thing. Like hello prof, kindly cease and desist the feminine hygiene product behavior. I guess it's out of concern for the trees, this distinction. But why is ctrl+f so dangerous to your pedagogy? Huh?

IT'S NOT.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »

We had this big controversy in  my Civ Pro class about how we COULD use an electronic version of our outline but we could NOT use control-F, and my prof sent out this very stern letter about how if we used control-F she would see to it that we were expelled or something. I thought it was pretty stupid.

I get so irritated about this kind of thing. Like hello prof, kindly cease and desist the feminine hygiene product behavior. I guess it's out of concern for the trees, this distinction. But why is ctrl+f so dangerous to your pedagogy? Huh?

IT'S NOT.

She thought it would give people an unfair advantage over those who took notes by hand/didn't do an electronic outline. I don't even know.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2008, 05:42:18 PM »

IT'S NOT.

She thought it would give people an unfair advantage over those who took notes by hand/didn't do an electronic outline. I don't even know.

So I'm going over FRE 403 right now, and immediately I'm like, Well, it was an advantage, but not an UNFAIR advantage, etc. Feck. I need to study. It's Monday morning and I'm GONNA FAIL.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »
Man, outlining is a female dog even with a template.

Lawyers don't need ctrl+F.  Lawyers use alternative search functions such as paralegals and/or first year associates.

Another question:  Is it possible to bounce back after a crappy first law school semester the same way some can in college?  Or do firms really only care about the first couple of semesters?

Next questions:  are there fields of law (e.g., IP) where grades are less important?

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2008, 06:13:06 PM »
Another question:  Is it possible to bounce back after a crappy first law school semester the same way some can in college? 

not really.

So, then, if you really flub the first semester you're better off (financially speaking) just bailing on the whole thing?  Question is a semi-serious one in the sense that the $100k in debt is certainly not worth it if all that lies at the end of the long, dark tunnel is some $80k/yr job... especially when you could get a similarly paying (and probably more interesting) job with only a bachelor's.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 06:19:26 PM »
Another question:  Is it possible to bounce back after a crappy first law school semester the same way some can in college? 

not really.

So, then, if you really flub the first semester you're better off (financially speaking) just bailing on the whole thing?  Question is a semi-serious one in the sense that the $100k in debt is certainly not worth it if all that lies at the end of the long, dark tunnel is some $80k/yr job... especially when you could get a similarly paying (and probably more interesting) job with only a bachelor's.

well depends on where you go.  there are places where you can do so-so your first semester and still do okay for yourself.

Fair enough.  How about if, say, you got a 2.9 at a school that was in the lower T14?

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
I have a good friend from ugrad who had extremely mediocre grades (3.0-3.2) at upenn law and landed a job at a white shoe law firm in NY.  The same person was offered several other jobs by various well known int'l firms both in NY and London.

I think you do have to be somewhat smooth to pull that off.

Sadly, for me, I don't go to Penn.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
God, I'm so f-ing stressed out.

Bastards from my law dorm went ahead and did practice exam/discussed it without me.  I am so pissed they didn't even invite me.  f-ing douchebags.

Everyone is always so cold to me here.  I hate this curve and this stupid law thing.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Bastards from my law dorm went ahead and did practice exam/discussed it without me.  I am so pissed they didn't even invite me.  f-ing douchebags.

They probably just assumed you had already done that one since you've been talking about how many practice exams you're doing for weeks now. :)

Chin up, Wally.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Jake_MONDATTA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2008, 07:17:15 PM »
I have a good friend from ugrad who had extremely mediocre grades (3.0-3.2) at upenn law and landed a job at a white shoe law firm in NY.  The same person was offered several other jobs by various well known int'l firms both in NY and London.

I think you do have to be somewhat smooth to pull that off.

that sounds about right.  and i don't know how smooth you have to be.  so long as you don't lack any kind of social graces, you should be fine.

kasm = socially awkward  ;D

And Jake... you said you're at T14.  Just stay median and life shouldnt SUCK.  When you fall below I dont know what will happen lol (especially IN THIS ECONOMY) 

ps I hate that every time I see the word economy I think of LSD

Thanks.  You're so nice, just like everybody says.

I'm a little nervous, but that's how I am.  One way or another, things will be over soon.  I'll be allright either way.  Hopefully I'll be more allright than half the class.  We'll see.