Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SO Pissed...  (Read 9440 times)

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: SO Pissed...
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 11:50:14 PM »
what does tag on a post mean?

it means you have nothing to say, but want to make the thread appear in your unread replies.

*bump* is also acceptable

bump actually means something different.

true, but the end result is the same
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 11:56:04 PM »
what does tag on a post mean?

it means you have nothing to say, but want to make the thread appear in your unread replies.

*bump* is also acceptable

bump actually means something different.

true, but the end result is the same

yes but if you post "bump" in a thread that's still active, you have people asking you why you're bumping.

perhaps.  but only from people who know what "bump" means.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 12:50:25 PM »
Seriously, this guy has to be kidding me.  He is mad because he cannot find a 100k plus job at one of the most severe economic downtowns in history in an oversaturated profession that is highly affected by the economic problems.  Suck it up, you're not the only one.  I had a hard time finding a position, I networked by fowarding my resume to anyone in the profession that I thought liked me enough to put in a good word for me and pass along.  After a little while my resume ended up in a judge's hands and now I have a clerkship making aout 50k to start.  You have to realize that it's not hazing, it's dollars and cents.  These employers are facing financial problems, they have bills and have other mouths to feed.  Hiring new people in a situtaion where they don't have enough work for their existing employees is not their first priority. 

You want to impress an employer, let them know that you took a train an hour and a half to speak to them and you'll be taking it back after the interview.  Don't ask to be compensated, just do it.  You're seriously not the only one who had a hard time find a job.  I have most of the rejection letters hanging on the wall in my Moot Court board office and it fills up most of a large wall. 

Take a moment and realize that you have a doctorate degree and realize that astronomical salary you get paid to sit behind a desk.  Plenty of people put in a lot more for a lot less. 

If you ever get bored looking at those rejection letters, you'll be surprised how many you can redact into acceptance letters, proposition letters, offers to give you a house, car, etc.  Our fridge is tongue-and-cheekly plastered with these works of art.  It took the edge off of checking the mailbox during OCI season... sure, there might be a rejection letter in there, but what if it includes words like "hard" and "rigid" and "we sincerely want you to do"?!! 

No ill will towards the firms that mail-merged us out of their hiring process this year (for whatever reasons), but if they're going to take the effort to send us a present we might as well turn it into something we like.  It's not like we can just return it.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008, 11:58:09 PM »
What a whiny little b**ch. Waaa, I can't live on $30K, waaaa. It's called getting your foot in the door.

Go take a *&^%! >:( YES. That is what I'm saying. A bunch of stuck-up, egotistical bastards who probably rake in MILLIONS can't afford to pay brilliant minds more than $30K?! @#!* THAT. It's bull. Please, boyfriend, COPS make 60K in a lot of jurisdictions where DA's and Judicial Clerks are making 30K. What kind of *&^% is that?! What in the hell sort of message are they sending?! Where is the incentive to make more out of yourself when all you get in return is someone taking a massive dump on you?! And again, I'm not looking for 100K, or even 90K...but hell something around 50K would be respectable.

You take a state trial level clerkship for $30K (for one year working basically 9-5), defer your loan payments, live modestly, pick the brain of the judge you're working for, and NETWORK with local attorneys who might be willing to throw you a full-time job after your clerkship ends. I'm not planning on working in the town where I'm clerking, but after one local bar association happy hour, I have had two local attorneys tell me that if I can't find a job in city X, to call them and "we'll work something out for you."

I hate to be the one to break it to you...but "networking" is a bunch of bull. It's arrogant ass heads who wander around, patting each other on the ass for an hour as they munch on wine and cheese. They crack jokes with their peers and spit bullcrap to fools like you and me because we're desperate and will hang on their every word. It's such a load of *&^%. @#!* "networking." I wish we could stop dancing around the crap and cut to the chase. Can I have a job - yes or no? They could answer the question and we could all be done with it. Also, "Call us and we'll work something out for you," is business-speak for "Get the hell away from me until many years from now, and hopefully by then I'll be retired."

There is also a federal loan consolidation program starting in July of 09 where if you work in a qualifying position (DA/PD/public interest) and make minimum income based payments for 10 years (on a $40K salary, its about $300 a month with $125K in loans), the government will pay off your student loans. There are several small market cities where you can get a govt job starting at between $35-40K, opt into the program, make your loan payments, and have a decent (but not lavish) quality of life.

Now THIS is something I'm interested in! ;D The government paying my loans?! It's like my own personal economic bailout!!! Do you have a link?! Will they pay off everything?

Instead of looking at the most realistic options, keep up the good work. Keep applying for positions on the opposite coast and get angry when they don't want to shell out money to fly you in for an interview when they can probably hire someone who lives 5 minutes away with more impressive credentials...and most importantly, common sense.

I send my *&^% EVERYWHERE. And hell, as far as getting there, either THEY have to pay for it, or I have to pay for it, and I really think that I am the poorer of the two - so WTF?! It's a two way street. They need someone to work for them and I need a job...it's not just me who is looking for something here. Granted, it's probably an employer's market, but *&^%...give me SOMETHING. Meet me halfway and pay for HALF of my travel expenses if you really need me to haul my butt hundreds of miles for an interview. I'm just sick of being treated like *&^% by a bunch of greedy, stuck-up *&^% eaters who orgasm at every opportunity to exploit the less fortionate.

McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2008, 12:17:41 AM »
Seriously, this guy has to be kidding me.  He is mad because he cannot find a 100k plus job at one of the most severe economic downtowns in history in an oversaturated profession that is highly affected by the economic problems.  Suck it up, you're not the only one.  I had a hard time finding a position, I networked by fowarding my resume to anyone in the profession that I thought liked me enough to put in a good word for me and pass along.  After a little while my resume ended up in a judge's hands and now I have a clerkship making aout 50k to start.  You have to realize that it's not hazing, it's dollars and cents.  These employers are facing financial problems, they have bills and have other mouths to feed.  Hiring new people in a situtaion where they don't have enough work for their existing employees is not their first priority. 

female dog, please. Cry me a f-in' river. Oh! The poor employers, they have mouths to feed. Oh, how their million dollar firms are struggeling through the economic downturn. Let me tell you something, boyfriend, the economic crisis is effecting ME a hell of a lot more than it's effecting the *&^% head who drives a Benz to his office each day!  >:( And if they are hurting so bad - how about cutting back on the $500,000 paychecks for partners, or the $1,000,000 holiday parties, or the $165,000 starting salaries for new hires at big law firms. It's such a f-in' joke! I could give a *&^% about ANY of their budget problems! Chances are they have budget problems because of their greedy, excessive, over-the-top lifestyles. THEIR OWN business practices are what led ALL OF US into the economic cesspool that we now find ourselves in. They can all go choke on a tube steak. @#!* them. If $30,000 is such a reasonable salary, maybe THEY should take it and we can all go through life together making such respectable money.  >:(

You want to impress an employer, let them know that you took a train an hour and a half to speak to them and you'll be taking it back after the interview.  Don't ask to be compensated, just do it.  You're seriously not the only one who had a hard time find a job.  I have most of the rejection letters hanging on the wall in my Moot Court board office and it fills up most of a large wall.

If they really can't afford to pay my expenses...I wouldn't expect them to. I'm sure a lot of government entities are strapped for cash, and probably have to jump through hoops to secure anything...but hell, if the funds are there, help a brotha out. I know I'm not the only one having a hard time finding employment, my posts are on behalf of the thousands of law students who are knee deep in the struggle with me. But I just wish we worked in a more cooperative setting, where the employer and the candidate worked TOGETHER. We are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing us - and in that regard, I have been seriously unimpressed by SO many potential employers. Where's the f-in' love, yo?  ??? 

Take a moment and realize that you have a doctorate degree and realize that astronomical salary you get paid to sit behind a desk.  Plenty of people put in a lot more for a lot less. 

WTF is up with everyone?! The fact that other people are going through worse *&^%...dosen't make things any less wrong! Yes, people work 60 hrs. / week at Micky D's and can't afford their monthly rent...but I'm still pissed when I get screwed!!!  >:( Everyone else should be fighting their own battle. Not sitting back and thanking Jesus that they don't have cancer or live in a box! HELL! WAKE THE @#!* UP!!! >:( Way to be completely complacent about all of the horrible, unjust *&^% that goes on around you. Damn son. Y'all need to stop making excuses for the man and wake the hell up and realize that *&^% AIN'T RIGHT!!! >:( >:( >:(
[/quote]

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2008, 12:53:31 AM »
Go take a poo! >:( YES. That is what I'm saying. A bunch of stuck-up, egotistical bastards who probably rake in MILLIONS can't afford to pay brilliant minds more than $30K?! @#!* THAT. It's bull. Please, boyfriend, COPS make 60K in a lot of jurisdictions where DA's and Judicial Clerks are making 30K. What kind of poo is that?! What in the hell sort of message are they sending?! Where is the incentive to make more out of yourself when all you get in return is someone taking a massive dump on you?! And again, I'm not looking for 100K, or even 90K...but hell something around 50K would be respectable.

I stopped reading your post after this because you sound like the type of ass hat who thinks he/she is better than other people simply because you have (or will have) a J.D. degree.  You think you're worth more than a police officer because you took 3-5 more years of school; you're ridiculous.  Your services are worth what the market pays.  Get over yourself.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2008, 02:04:51 AM »
Go take a poo! >:( YES. That is what I'm saying. A bunch of stuck-up, egotistical bastards who probably rake in MILLIONS can't afford to pay brilliant minds more than $30K?! @#!* THAT. It's bull. Please, boyfriend, COPS make 60K in a lot of jurisdictions where DA's and Judicial Clerks are making 30K. What kind of poo is that?! What in the hell sort of message are they sending?! Where is the incentive to make more out of yourself when all you get in return is someone taking a massive dump on you?! And again, I'm not looking for 100K, or even 90K...but hell something around 50K would be respectable.

I stopped reading your post after this because you sound like the type of ass hat who thinks he/she is better than other people simply because you have (or will have) a J.D. degree.  You think you're worth more than a police officer because you took 3-5 more years of school; you're ridiculous.  Your services are worth what the market pays.  Get over yourself.

Our Crim Pro professor seems to be of the opinion that cops should be better educated to justify the responsibility they have and prevent the whole street cop/management cop duality that exists in the US. BUT, he's an accomplished academic who did well enough in law school and afterwards to eventually make him a Top-10 most cited Crim scholar in the country... so perhaps his elitism is somewhat justified in that sense.  And even he has some valid points about the importance cops serve in our communities... if I've learned anything going into the exam I have in 7.5 hours, it's that Orwellian surveillance methods like what's evolved in London seem to be less efficient in solving most crimes than just hiring and training a larger police force.  And I'm sure the risk of death contributes somewhat to why a cop who does their job well should be making more than a law clerk.

And school does their best here to beat any semblance of elitism out of us while we're here, and remind us of we need to be selling ourself to an employer if they're going to dump so much money in our laps straight out of law school. When the partner told me what I'd be making this summer, I responded with "You know, to be honest I don't think I'm worth that much." His response was laughing and "No, you are definitely NOT. It's just ridiculous!" 

From what I've heard, the most incorrigible law students seem to be the ones that act like they're entitled to something when they interview.  If the OP isn't flame, they need to reevaluate what they're looking for and maybe pursue some sort of work that would be more humbling and help develop the maturity level they're going to need if they really want to be successful later in their career.  Also, who says "boyfriend, please?"

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2008, 02:16:48 AM »

i think it's flame.

Well that would certainly explain the boyfriend remarks.  So now, isn't the question which veteran poster has assumed this alt?

McNasty

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2008, 02:22:00 AM »
The market for lawyers is all screwed up. You have an ass load of people making $25 - $40 G's, hardly anyone making between $50 - $90G's, and another ass load of people making between $120 - $160 G's. WTF is that all about?! And do I think someone who invested $100,000 in their legal education ought to earn at least as much as some meat head cop? Absolutely. Not because they are "better than other people," - hell, the amount of $ you make dosen't say much about how "good you are," but because the person is a f-ing LAWYER! >:( Our work will entail just a LITTLE more than pulling over people who drive too fast and busting on kids who smoke weed in the forest. Give me a f-ing break. >:(

And all this *&^% about them "putting their lives on the line," that's a load of *&^%, too. Really, how many cops die per year? It's not like they're out there getting mowed down everyday. Hell, if anything, THE PEOPLE'S lives are at an even greater risk, since we're not driving around with the authority to LOCK PEOPLE UP and BUST GUNS!!!  >:( @#!*!!! Jesus Christ. Wake the hell up! Most of them are a bunch of thugs who belong in college frat houses! I'm SURE that more citizens have been gunned down by the police than police have been gunned down by citizens.

And as for this notion put fourth by the previous poster that law school teaches us to "be humble" - what in the hell are you talking about?! Your mother teaches you to be humble...law school teaches you about all of the stupid f-ing cases we have to read about, and maybe a couple of statues if you're lucky.

Where in the hell am I?  ??? ??? ???

sluglaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2008, 04:09:58 AM »

i think it's flame.

i am beginning to suspect that this entire site is a bunch of flames.  and you flirting with pjh.