Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SO Pissed...  (Read 9335 times)

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: SO Pissed...
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 09:35:16 AM »
I could see OP being a Matthies alt.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »
I think Iím just going to open up my own firm. McNasty, LLP. Keep it real, yíall - and donít let the man hold you down.

Problem solved.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »

haha..no. I could not, even if I tried, blame so much on so many other than myself, even as a joke. Besides, even I can spell grateful.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Katfid54

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:49:58 PM »

haha..no. I could not, even if I tried, blame so much on so many other than myself, even as a joke. Besides, even I can spell grateful.

LOL

Johnie Awesome

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 11:52:54 AM »
what does tag on a post mean?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 08:31:59 PM »
Iím sick of it. So damn sick of it. No matter where I go, no matter who I talk to, I canít catch a break for poo. Iím so DONE. Put a f-iní fork in me. Since AUGUST, Iíve been busting my ass, day and night, in class, at work, all the f-iní time trying to find a mother f-ing job. Iíve sent out hundreds, upon hundreds of applications. Iíve scoured the far corners of the internet. Iíve exhausted my personal connections. Iíve heard every excuse under the sun: Weíre not hiring right now; Weíre looking for someone who is already licensed; We have already completed our recruiting needs. BITE ME. But thatís not even as bad as some of the clowns Iíve interviewed / talked with. One a-hole told me I couldnít find a job in the south because too many of them hate northerners. Get over it Ė ass hat. One guy dropped ďFĒ bombs all throughout the f-ing interview! He trash talked liberals for a half an hour. Other assholes expect me to shell out my life savings to fly across the country to interview with them. Hello! Iím f-ing POOR!!! You idiots are sitting on massive amounts of cash, and you want me, the poor law student who is eligible for Section 8 housing and food stamps, to go GET ON A PLANE AND FLY TO YOU?! DREAM ON, ASS BAGS! Some buttholes think itís kosher to hire me at $30,000 or less. Listen, freaks, inflation has happened since you were in the 3rd grade! YOU CANíT SURIVIVE ON 30 GíS!!!  >:( Iím sick of this! People say that our generation has this ďhigh and mighty sense of entitlementĒ and we want all of this poo for nothing, blah blah blah. Well, let me tell YOU something - OLD WINDBAGS - YOUíRE ALL OLD CHEAP BASTARDS! All of those whining critics of our generation fault us because we donít want to work 60 hours a week after accumulating $120,000 in debt for a whopping $25 - 30,000. Go eat a f-ing turd. Itís easy to be critical when youíre loaded and financially secure. These anus warriors get a f-ing kick out of watching the youth of America suffer, probably because ďthey had to do it once.Ē Bite me. Since when has growing up in America become a big hazing ritual? To all of the unsupportive, stupid-ass crap heads out thereÖgo to hell. Iím done.  >:(

What a whiny little b**ch. Waaa, I can't live on $30K, waaaa. It's called getting your foot in the door. You take a state trial level clerkship for $30K (for one year working basically 9-5), defer your loan payments, live modestly, pick the brain of the judge you're working for, and NETWORK with local attorneys who might be willing to throw you a full-time job after your clerkship ends. I'm not planning on working in the town where I'm clerking, but after one local bar association happy hour, I have had two local attorneys tell me that if I can't find a job in city X, to call them and "we'll work something out for you."

There is also a federal loan consolidation program starting in July of 09 where if you work in a qualifying position (DA/PD/public interest) and make minimum income based payments for 10 years (on a $40K salary, its about $300 a month with $125K in loans), the government will pay off your student loans. There are several small market cities where you can get a govt job starting at between $35-40K, opt into the program, make your loan payments, and have a decent (but not lavish) quality of life.

Instead of looking at the most realistic options, keep up the good work. Keep applying for positions on the opposite coast and get angry when they don't want to shell out money to fly you in for an interview when they can probably hire someone who lives 5 minutes away with more impressive credentials...and most importantly, common sense.

Johnie Awesome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:07 PM »
Seriously, this guy has to be kidding me.  He is mad because he cannot find a 100k plus job at one of the most severe economic downtowns in history in an oversaturated profession that is highly affected by the economic problems.  Suck it up, you're not the only one.  I had a hard time finding a position, I networked by fowarding my resume to anyone in the profession that I thought liked me enough to put in a good word for me and pass along.  After a little while my resume ended up in a judge's hands and now I have a clerkship making aout 50k to start.  You have to realize that it's not hazing, it's dollars and cents.  These employers are facing financial problems, they have bills and have other mouths to feed.  Hiring new people in a situtaion where they don't have enough work for their existing employees is not their first priority. 

You want to impress an employer, let them know that you took a train an hour and a half to speak to them and you'll be taking it back after the interview.  Don't ask to be compensated, just do it.  You're seriously not the only one who had a hard time find a job.  I have most of the rejection letters hanging on the wall in my Moot Court board office and it fills up most of a large wall. 

Take a moment and realize that you have a doctorate degree and realize that astronomical salary you get paid to sit behind a desk.  Plenty of people put in a lot more for a lot less. 

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 09:52:24 PM »
Why the hell would an employer be impressed you took the train for an hour and a half?  I know an attorney who does that every morning and evening to get back and forth from work.

Johnie Awesome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 10:15:59 PM »
Thinking it would show that the person is willing to go out of his way to interview.  If someone was willing to go out of their way that much, and not ask for anything from the firm I would be more impressed if I were evaluating that candidate.

The attorney you know you do does that is billing at least 2 of the 3 hours he spends in transit every day.  He basically is in a moving office. 

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 11:13:39 PM »
what does tag on a post mean?

it means you have nothing to say, but want to make the thread appear in your unread replies.

*bump* is also acceptable
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD