Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apply now or wait till next cycle?  (Read 475 times)

Chicago12

• View Profile
Apply now or wait till next cycle?
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:53:26 PM »
I'm a borderline candidate for HYS and have had some trouble getting my LORs in.  My final letter should be processed by the end of this week and so I'll be set to submit this weekend.  Increasingly though, I've wondered whether it would be prudent to wait till next fall and apply in september.  Maybe it's a result of this board, but I've gotten the impression that I'm fairly late in the game.

I'm in the first year of a graduate program and so waiting another year wouldn't be a problem, but I had hoped to pursue the two as a dual degree.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Re: Apply now or wait till next cycle?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 06:07:14 PM »
I'd wait, but I'm probably in the minority.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
apply

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:33:21 AM »
If you really want to go to HYS, I would wait. Several reasons:

1) Harvard already started accepting in November, and if you apply now, you'll face stiffer competition. And, you're neglecting to consider time it takes for LSAC and offices to process, which takes up to a month. You probably won't go complete until January, even if you apply now.
2) More importantly, you'll have more time to craft your PS and build your resumes. If you're numbers are borderline, you really can't get into YS unless you really distinguish yourself from the pack. Writing a really good PS requires serious time ivestment, and takes months. I've seen plenty of borderline candidates at HYS get rejected with 172/4.0 because they write crappy essays and think they need to apply early.
3) If you can afford to apply next year, why do it now? many applicants don't have that luxery.

Good luck!

Chicago12

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 01:07:18 AM »
I appreciate the input guys.  I'll have to give it some more thought in the coming days.  Comeback, I'll definately take your points into consideration.  Thanks