Law School Discussion

If I get into to my ED school, how soon must I withdraw my other applications?

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Fun 1L Contracts note: typically the remedy for breach of contract is monetary damages, not specific performance. Of course, I don't think anyone has ever sued over an early decision contract. And I know at least one person who broke their college ED contract. There's some doubt as to whether they'd even stand in court. (would the court make you pay Columbia the tuition it was expecting? the costs Columbia incurred in relying on your commitment to enroll?)

Heh.

I'm a CLS 2L who applied and got in ED. I got my e-mail on a Monday, and had withdrawn from all my other schools in a week. It was finals week and I spent most of the week strung out on caffeine writing seminar papers.

1) As discussed above, the time frame contemplated by the contract is "immediately." Not after other schools respond (even if you don't plan on accepting those offers), not when you feel like it, or get around to it. That being said, CLS probably doesn't care, though they'll probably find out (peer schools with ED tend to circulate lists of names amongst themselves to make sure accepted candidates aren't still on the market) Unless you actually try to matriculate somewhere else, the end result will be the same. You're not going to get angry letters from Dean Iwerebon if you haven't withdrawn your apps in 24 hours.

However, your line of thinking is precisely why law school has made me cyncial. Read a contracts casebook and you'll realize that the law isn't complicated because we want it to be, it's complicated because enough people apparently don't believe in things like "good faith" efforts. Your stated intentions belie any attempt to characterize your actions as acting in good faith to comply with your contractual obligation.

2) bt, most, if not all, ED contracts already account for your suggested loophole. To quote the instrument: "Applicants for whom financial aid will be an influential factor in their eventual enrollment decision should consider very carefully whether they want to apply to our binding Early Decision Plan, because they will be unable to compare offers from various law schools." In short, if you want to compare financial aid offers, don't do ED. Again, they're probably not going to force you to attend if you can't afford and you just 'happen' to wait for another offer, but it's a shot across the bow to scare you off from trying to do just that, and goes against the 'in good faith' approach I already mentioned.

Fun 1L Contracts note: typically the remedy for breach of contract is monetary damages, not specific performance. Of course, I don't think anyone has ever sued over an early decision contract. And I know at least one person who broke their college ED contract. There's some doubt as to whether they'd even stand in court. (would the court make you pay Columbia the tuition it was expecting? the costs Columbia incurred in relying on your commitment to enroll?)

thanks for this...it's affirming.  don't give up.  there's plenty of people who still believe in doing the right thing.

Hey OP, I'm not going to lie, I hope you get dinged everywhere you apply.

ClashCityRocker

• know your rights
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile

It's a bit late for that at this point in the game, but it's nice to know that I can illicit such powerfully vicious sentiments for asking if I could wait seven days before withdrawing my other applications.
Rather than try to defend my character on an internet discussion forum, I think I'm going to let this drop. Like I said earlier, arguing online really isn't for me. As a friend once said, it's like participating in the Special Olympics. . .

It's a bit late for that at this point in the game, but it's nice to know that I can illicit such powerfully vicious sentiments for asking if I could wait seven days before withdrawing my other applications.
Rather than try to defend my character on an internet discussion forum, I think I'm going to let this drop. Like I said earlier, arguing online really isn't for me. As a friend once said, it's like participating in the Special Olympics. . .

Please elaborate to the punchline.

ClashCityRocker

• know your rights
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile

Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!

Wow, not only are you an unethical, prestige whoring, contract breaking, moma’s boy but you like to make jokes at the expense of disabled people. Nice.

OP, the Yale admissions blog answered a mailbag question this week about individuals applying ED.  They said they receive updates from peer schools regarding students who applied ED and were accepted at those schools and they immediately remove them from application consideration.  Assuming this is a standard practice, you can try and see if you're Harvard material, but they'll certainly take the liberty of withdrawing your application for you.

Turns out, your a tool.  No one here likes you.  You consider posting only on TLS.

bt

• View Profile
    • Email
Yeah that's crazy.  Hmm...