Law School Discussion

Safeties for 3.9/172?

Safeties for 3.9/172?
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
Hi, I'm new here; first off, I've checked LSN and hourumd and whatnot and know that I am in a pretty good position for law schools.

My question is, I am hoping to submit my application at some point before the holidays, and should I be applying anywhere outside the T14? Is the lower end of the T14 enough of a safety for me? I don't have very good softs at all - one internship, a few clubs, decent (but not amazing) LORs, and a decent PS (no amazing life story).

Thanks!

Re: Safeties for 3.9/172?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Well, welcome to LSD...just fyi, alot of the times if you take a few minutes to browse the forums, you can come across the answer to your own question - in this instance you might have found me freaking out about the same thing (just submitted all my apps). We are numbers twins, and I only sent one application to a non-T14 school. While, since I am in the same boat as you, can't really give you a definite answer, here is how I am thinking about it: With my GPA/LSAT combo, a solid application should be good enough for a T14 school; since I have biglaw aspirations, I consider the T14 advantage to be substantial; so if I get rejected from EVERY T14 school, I'll be left to imagine that I did something horribly wrong in my apps, and I'll sit out the cycle, do something with the year off, and try again next year. So maybe I should apply to some more safeties, but (this might seem wrong to say), I feel it would be a waste of my numbers.

That is how I am playing it at least. Sorry to ramble, HTH.

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 12:38:31 PM »
You're safety should be Gtown. It could also be Duke, Cornell, UVA. Or all off the above.

You'll get into those no problem, as long as you don't wait until the last minute to submit apps. I have a 172 and 3.83. Already in at Gtown, Duke, UMich, and UC Berkeley. They were my safeties to begin with, so now just waiting to hear back from the schools that i'm really shooting for. You're scores are going to get you in the door at (at least) half the schools in the top 14, no problem. The rest, if you can put together a solid application you'll be fine (of course HYS will be your reaches, but who knows with those).

Good luck.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 01:37:47 PM »
Blah, blah, blah, I have great numbers and know how to use LSN, yet no one told me they love me today. I KNOW! I'll go on LSD and make a completely useless post so that other people can tell me how awesome I am.

STOP.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »
Blah, blah, blah, I have great numbers and know how to use LSN, yet no one told me they love me today. I KNOW! I'll go on LSD and make a completely useless post so that other people can tell me how awesome I am.

STOP.

this is so mean and yet it totally made me laugh out lout at work haha

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »

STOP.

TITCR

nealric

• a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!!11!!!YOU WILL GET IN EVERYWHERE YOU APPLY !!!!!111!!!!!11!!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 03:26:30 PM »
i'm seriously thinking about deleting my internet history and never coming back to this board again after today.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 05:15:54 PM »
Hi, I'm new here; first off, I've checked LSN and hourumd and whatnot and know that I am in a pretty good position for law schools.

My question is, I am hoping to submit my application at some point before the holidays, and should I be applying anywhere outside the T14? Is the lower end of the T14 enough of a safety for me? I don't have very good softs at all - one internship, a few clubs, decent (but not amazing) LORs, and a decent PS (no amazing life story).

Thanks!

I have a 176 and a 4.0 gpa.
Any chance I can get into Cooley?
HTH.

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »
look, if a guy's trying to save money and wants some kind of reassurance other than a chart somewhere, it's not so unreasonable to ask.  cut him some slack.

OP: if i were you i wouldn't bother applying to anything ranked below GULC/cornell.  but i would apply to both just in case.

Realizing, of course, that the responders are most likely to be a smaller subset of the group whose information populates the chart.  So basically, it's the same info.  I doubt many, if any, posters have particular inside info or knowledge on the admissions process.