Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.3 and 172 but 3.8 gradute GPA  (Read 689 times)

mizzle820

• View Profile
3.3 and 172 but 3.8 gradute GPA
« on: December 02, 2008, 01:27:04 PM »
Hello everyone. I have a 3.3 undergraduate GPA but a 3.8 MS graduate degree from Carnegie Mellon. I scored a 172 on my LSAT and I am applying to top10 schools. Are my chances good or should I expand outside of the T14 range?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
Re: 3.3 and 172 but 3.8 gradute GPA
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
Hello everyone. I have a 3.3 undergraduate GPA but a 3.8 MS graduate degree from Carnegie Mellon. I scored a 172 on my LSAT and I am applying to top10 schools. Are my chances good or should I expand outside of the T14 range?

They will see your Graduate GPA, but it is a very minor soft factor - very few people get bad grades in graduate school.

Undergrad is what counts, and you need to target accordingly.
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »
What Theo said.

Your chances are decent at landing something in the T14 (and maybe T10), but if your goal is to attend law school next year you should definitely toss in some lower targets/safeties outside of the T14.  Check lawschoolnumbers.com to see how people have fared with stats similar to yours.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

wiseowl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:09:09 PM »
my grad program is honors/pass/fail, which means no real GPA.  there are conversions out there but LSAC doesn't care.  for this reason you can't really compare grad work like you can undergrad, which is why it is at best a strong soft for you.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out: