Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving across country for law school multiple questions.  (Read 1292 times)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Moving across country for law school multiple questions.
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
I had to lend my brother 1200 bucks so he could transfer from GW to NYU, because finaid didn't come through until after school started, and he needed to be up there in August for OCI. Start saving now or count on a small loan from friend or family. I think moving expenses can run around the 1k to 2k mark, in my experience.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

BigLulz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
Phew, I haven't posted in quite some time!

I went to MSU for UG, so I can answer any questions you have about the school or the area. It was definitely a lot of fun to go to a Big Ten school. The campus is gorgeous, the people are friendly, and there's never a problem finding something entertaining. The law building is new(ish) and the facilities are great, and while the graduate dorm is right across the street, I would agree that living off campus is a better idea. If you get to the point where you know you want to attend and are looking for housing, check out allmsu.com. It's a little bit like craigslist for the MSU community, and includes classified ads, rental listings, and apartment reviews.

I do think it's a great idea to wait and see where else you are accepted though, especially if you don't want to remain in Michigan after you graduate. I have also heard some less-than-stellar things about the school, and having U of M only an hour away, Cooley in downtown Lansing, and Wayne State in downtown Detroit, you may have trouble finding jobs, especially in our tanked economy. Oh, and don't forget about the bitter winters.

!!!

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »
You've got 'til August.  Get a 2nd job, work overtime, or sell a kidney.  If you can't scrape up an extra $4K to cover a move in 8 months, you're not trying hard enough.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
You've got 'til August.  Get a 2nd job, work overtime, or sell a kidney.  If you can't scrape up an extra $4K to cover a move in 8 months, you're not trying hard enough.

tcr

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 11:14:12 AM »
Big Lulz it was good hear a lot of positive things about MSU regarding campus, I realize the econmy and there are a lot of schools there already, but I am just waiting to see what happens. Thanks for the info though

I am sure I can scrap a few K together hopefully, but I just wanted to know if anyone had a similiar situaiton and if their school helped them to get settled etc. I moved California to New York and there were so many unexpected expenses it was ridiclous.  New York is ridiclous though, moving to a midwest city will most likely be easier if I end up going. 

\