Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Predict New USNWR Rankings Using Law Schools' 2008 Entering Class Data!  (Read 9708 times)

Blair180

• View Profile
Re: Predict New USNWR Rankings Using Law Schools' 2008 Entering Class Data!
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
when do the new rankings come out?
GPA: 3.88 LSAT: 160

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »

Never before March in a given year... one of the stats schools supply to NALP is the % employed at 9 months out from graduation, which means February. Once NALP collects all the information, USNews pulls from it and throws together the new rankings. The earliest even fake rankings come out is the very end of February/early March.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

Blue08

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 01:03:40 PM »
"12.  UMich (for dropping an LSAT point at the 25%)"

Since USNWR only uses median scores as a factor, wouldn't this have zero impact (for any school that has, say, dropped [or gained] a point at the 25th or 75th yet maintained their previous median)? Or am I missing something?

gambi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 12:18:44 AM »

Never before March in a given year... one of the stats schools supply to NALP is the % employed at 9 months out from graduation, which means February. Once NALP collects all the information, USNews pulls from it and throws together the new rankings. The earliest even fake rankings come out is the very end of February/early March.

This is  wrong information.  The career data US News uses is the PRIOR graduating class, not the most recent one.   So the most recent rankings were the class of 2006. http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-graduate-schools/2008/03/26/law-methodology.html

The new rankings will be class of 2007.  The class of 2008 won't show up in rankings  until Spring of 2010.  For a ranking system that people think is so important, its pretty shocking that  20% of the scoring is based on stale data that has already been replaced with new data.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »

This is  wrong information.  The career data US News uses is the PRIOR graduating class, not the most recent one.   So the most recent rankings were the class of 2006. http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-graduate-schools/2008/03/26/law-methodology.html

The new rankings will be class of 2007.  The class of 2008 won't show up in rankings  until Spring of 2010.  For a ranking system that people think is so important, its pretty shocking that  20% of the scoring is based on stale data that has already been replaced with new data.

Gah! You're right!  What a pain... this means there's a two-year delay in our improved placement numbers being factored into the rankings.  What  nonsense... the need for schools to self-publish the most recent employment information is even more important now.  We've had the Class of '07 information out for just about a year now, and the Class of '08 list of employers/cities will be ready in a month.  I wonder what the deal is with using historical information in computing new rankings...

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »

Gah! You're right!  What a pain... this means there's a two-year delay in our improved placement numbers being factored into the rankings.  What  nonsense... the need for schools to self-publish the most recent employment information is even more important now.  We've had the Class of '07 information out for just about a year now, and the Class of '08 list of employers/cities will be ready in a month.  I wonder what the deal is with using historical information in computing new rankings...

Well, [observationalist] , I guess you will have to do your duty as a Vandy Troll and post that 2008 employment information on here as soon as its available.  ;)

EDIT: To remove real name. Whoops.
Vandy 1L... really?

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »

Well, [observationalist] , I guess you will have to do your duty as a Vandy Troll and post that 2008 employment information on here as soon as its available.  ;)

EDIT: To remove real name. Whoops.

Oh no you didn't!  I guess it doesn't matter... we're both going to have prospective students recognizing us at the admitted students weekends because of the whole open avatar thing.  But if I see you tonight I'm outing you for the outer you are.

As a side note, your trolling is not up to par with what I was expecting from you.  You had such promise!  In fact, if I don't see you out tonight I'm assuming you stayed in applying to jobs instead of enjoying your first weekend back, in which case you shall feel the wrath of my online persona.  FYI, this should be a good night on the town... we haven't been to Tin Roof since November and I expect the 1L parties will kick early, so people should funnel down to Demonbreun. Might show up at the Bayou bash but not certain yet what our plans are beforehand... we'll see.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 04:19:26 AM »
You missed out on downtown, jerk. You lie.

we're both going to have prospective students recognizing us at the admitted students weekends because of the whole open avatar thing.  But if I see you tonight I'm outing you for the outer you are.

I will have the same problem I think!
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »
Observationalist -

Last night we had an 80's Dance Party... I had some awesome bright purple tights on. No job applying here!

And you're such a great Vandy Troll... how can I compete?
Vandy 1L... really?

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »
well I had a crazy night involving a fire pit and Connect 4 with the LLMs and some 3Ls, and I didn't even have to wear tights to participate. JNSL, sorry we didn't make it downtown... most active part was walking home through the streets of Nashville sometime after 4am with a bottle of wine we were awarded for our abilities at counting to four. Good to know you were both out on the town trolling to Vandy though, and with mock trial coming up too!