Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are the more "difficult" science majors given more leniency?  (Read 1802 times)

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
Are the more "difficult" science majors given more leniency?
« on: December 01, 2008, 08:51:18 PM »
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know what your opinions were on whether or not certain majors are given more leniency GPA-wise in the application process.  Notice that this is different from the age-old question "are certain majors (political science, etc) given preference?"

For example, do some/most schools look more favorably upon a 3.5 engineering gpa as compared to a 3.5 humanities gpa?

I am a biology major myself and I am simply curious, as I have no idea one way or the other...though from an objective point of view it would seem only logical to me to weight some majors differently.

Thanks

GunnerDore

Re: Are the more "difficult" science majors given more leniency?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 04:24:06 PM »
If the school is in the mood for taking 3.5 GPAs, all other things being equal (including undergrad reputation), they'll probably take a 3.5 engineer before a 3.5 humanities major.

Science/engineering types do get a slight boost in admissions, but it's not nearly as big as worried science majors trying to feel better about their chances will have you believe.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »
O rly?

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to know what your opinions were on whether or not certain majors are given more leniency GPA-wise in the application process.  Notice that this is different from the age-old question "are certain majors (political science, etc) given preference?"

How, pray tell, is it different? It's pretty much the same obnoxious question seeking validation.

For example, do some/most schools look more favorably upon a 3.5 engineering gpa as compared to a 3.5 humanities gpa?

No, they do not. A 3.5 is a 3.5. Some people will try to to feed you the "if everything else is equal, it is a tiebreaker" line, but there are no situations where two applicants are exactly the same in every way but major. It is not relevant.

I am a biology major myself and I am simply curious, as I have no idea one way or the other...though from an objective point of view it would seem only logical to me to weight some majors differently.

It seems logical to you, does it? Explain to me how they would weigh majors differently in a "logical" way. What about a physics major at Bumblefuck University versus a physics major at MIT? Or an econ major at Chicago?

For the last time (because this question isn't nearly as unique as you would like to think it is):

EVEN IF THERE WAS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MAJORS, THERE IS NO WAY TO QUANTIFY ANY SUCH DIFFERENCE, SO IT DOES NOT MATTER.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:39:46 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D

I had those same questions but I kept Xing out of this thread instead.  You captured my level of sarcastic frustration perfectly, I think.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
O rly?

Hey everyone,

How, pray tell, is it different? It's pretty much the same obnoxious question seeking validation.

It may be an obnoxious question, but it is one that I have yet to see asked.  Being a science major myself I was curious.  Therefore, I decided to seek an answer (or rather an opinion).

I am not, I repeat, NOT seeking validation or trying to feel any better about my chances, as I am currently sitting on a 3.96...the fruits of studying a major one truly enjoys.

As far as how the schools would weigh descrepencies between majors if this were the case, I have no idea as to a method.  I'm not on an adcom.  I simply meant that it would make sense if they did.  But if not, whatever.

Thanks for your responses.

Pop Up Video

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 11:44:57 PM »
O rly?

Hey everyone,

It may be an obnoxious question, but it is one that I have yet to see asked.  Being a science major myself I was curious.  Therefore, I decided to seek an answer (or rather an opinion).

I am not, I repeat, NOT seeking validation or trying to feel any better about my chances, as I am currently sitting on a 3.96...the fruits of studying a major one truly enjoys.

As far as how the schools would weigh descrepencies between majors if this were the case, I have no idea as to a method.  I'm not on an adcom.  I simply meant that it would make sense if they did.  But if not, whatever.

Thanks for your responses.

This question is asked all the time actually. If you didn't know, there is a search function on the "Home" section of the site. Or you could search this site from Google directly.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »

If you have a 3.96, why are you asking for leniency?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

ClosetNerd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:46 AM »

If you have a 3.96, why are you asking for leniency?

(cough) ...awkward silence... (cough)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:09:08 PM »
I like how if you put a controversial claim in quotes, it is supposed to mitigate its effect.  "Difficult" science programs are no more "difficult" than "difficult" arts programs.  There are profs in the arts who don't give As unless you're the next Heidegger.  There are profs in engineering who create tests with a 45% average.  If you're a good student, you get good grades.  Bottom line.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

saywhatagain07

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »
(blueskies).  I am not asking for leniency, rather I am inquiring about how adcoms view different majors when considering applicants for admission.

comotellamas, I did not put "difficult" in quotations to mitigate its effect.  I put "difficult" in quotations to express a notion that is generally agreed upon.  For example, while some opinions may contrast, I think the majority of people would agree that Electrical Engineering is a more difficult major (GPA wise and course-content wise) than Women's & Gender Studies.