Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Job market question  (Read 1396 times)

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Job market question
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 03:57:03 PM »
Do government jobs spinal tap you? I'd hate to be disqualifed from a job based on experimentation when I was 17.

Certain agencies require no drug use in the past 10 years and confirm with polygraph.

or ever for the FBI and certain specfic drugs

Correct, but the reality is that most agencies won't ever check.  The FBI will poly you for certain job positions, as will many intelligence and other agencies.  However, the reality is most just have you represent on a form your drug history and if you don't mention it, nobody knows.  I'm not advocating lying, but it happens all the time.

Regardless of your past, there are plenty of agencies where you can get hired, be 100% honest, and go on to a long, fulfilling career.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »
Do government jobs spinal tap you? I'd hate to be disqualifed from a job based on experimentation when I was 17.

Certain agencies require no drug use in the past 10 years and confirm with polygraph.

VERY FEW agencies polygraph.  Even a top secret security clearance will not involve a poly and you can get a TS clearance having used drugs in your lifetime at some point.

All the cool agencies polygraph...

txlawstu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:06 PM »
Most federal agencies do not hire attorneys straight out of law school unless you were an honor program student.  That means exceptional grades. 

But the income range you are looking at would probably be accomplished by local government positions and many non-profit type jobs.  Heck, I know defense attorneys that make that on their court appointments alone.  Maybe you can hang a shingle yourself and then your grades wouldn't matter at all.