Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm about to start studying for the Feb 09 LSAT...Best Tips?  (Read 4328 times)

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: I'm about to start studying for the Feb 09 LSAT...Best Tips?
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
HYSHopeful, I was going to go through your post and address your points, but you sound like an insufferable a-hole and it would take too much of my time. You have good numbers, but it's no reason to be a jerk.

If my previous post came off as "insufferable", I apologize. I'm only trying to look after the best interests of the people who come here to get legitimate advice. If AlisaGreenstein wasn't a shill for a prep company, then I wouldn't have been so critical. I have a problem with representatives of prep companies who come on here to spam the message boards, particularly when their advice is likely to actually hurt the individuals who follow it.

AlisaGreenstein's post was nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at generating traffic for Veritas Prep... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that individuals might actually follow the advice that she gave... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that doing so may actually hurt said individuals.

I'm unsure as to what your motivation might be for defending veritas prep company.

Ell oh ell.

I have no interest in Veritas Prep. I've never heard of the company. But, I have taken the LSAT and been successful using other methods you so rudely dismissed in your previous post. In addition, I have previously been unsuccessful when taking the LSAT and using some of the methods that you advocated.

Being irritated by shills is one thing. Hell, it's obnoxious and I get that. But stop acting like you're God's gift to the LSAT and that it must be done your way or it's WRONG. BTW, being a major jerk to discredit Alisa's position on the LSAT (as well as attempting to respond to me in kind) is basically an ad hominem attack. I'm sure you know what those are, being such a sweet ass LSAT pontificator and all.

so, who right here?

Me.  Obvi.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
Being irritated by shills is one thing.  Hell, it's obnoxious and I get that.  But stop acting like you're God's gift to the LSAT and that it must be done your way or it's WRONG.  BTW, being a major jerk to discredit Alisa's position on the LSAT (as well as attempting to respond to me in kind) is basically an ad hominem attack.  I'm sure you know what those are, being such a sweet ass LSAT pontificator and all.

In fact, Ms. Spano, I do know what an ad hominem argument is. Unfortunately, you appear to have a mistaken understanding of the term.

I responded to AlisaGreenstein's advice to read the question stem first by enumerating specific reasons why doing so is unlikely to be helpful. My argument provided evidence against her claim, and did not attack AlisaGreenstein herself.

On the other hand, you responded by calling me an "an insufferable a-hole" and "jerk" in an attempt to discredit my argument by attacking my character, rather than my argument itself. That is, by definition, an ad hominem abusive fallacy.

Furthermore, your claim, "I have taken the LSAT and been successful using other methods you so rudely dismissed in your previous post. In addition, I have previously been unsuccessful when taking the LSAT and using some of the methods that you advocated.", is riddled with fallacious reasoning. Your argument generalizes from a single, unrepresentative, anecdotal claim. It also assumes a causal relationship when only a correlation has been shown. I doubt that reading the stimulus prior to the stem caused you to perform unsuccessfully.

If you'd like to discuss the merits of reading the question stem prior to the stimulus, I'd be happy to do so. If you are only here to express your unwarranted animosity towards me by launching baseless, personal attacks so that you can brag about it with your buddies on the General Off-Topic boards, then I'm not interested in continuing the conversation.

Either way, you are only embarrassing yourself.

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »
definitely get 1 or 2 of the books of 10 actual LSATs.  I used 2, but I took it twice...

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 06:51:13 PM »
LOL, petty tripe indeed. 

Furthermore, your claim, "I have taken the LSAT and been successful using other methods you so rudely dismissed in your previous post. In addition, I have previously been unsuccessful when taking the LSAT and using some of the methods that you advocated.", is riddled with fallacious reasoning. Your argument generalizes from a single, unrepresentative, anecdotal claim. It also assumes a causal relationship when only a correlation has been shown. I doubt that reading the stimulus prior to the stem caused you to perform unsuccessfully.

My point, which I'm sure you recognized being as brill as you are, is that there's really no right way to read the questions.  Many are successful doing question stem first and many are successful doing question stem after stimulus.  What makes your opinion more valid than Alisa?  Because you feel more self important?

Plus, no one was bragging about calling you an insufferable a-hole or a jerk...just callin' it like I see it.

Either way, you are only embarrassing yourself.

From the guy with the pink polo and popped collar?  I guess you're the expert in embarrassing oneself.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
when, oh when, you people tire of argument?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2008, 07:31:30 PM »
For you Jules, I'll drop it.  Only because I secretly (or not so secretly anymore) adore you.

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2008, 11:42:07 PM »
From the guy with the pink polo and popped collar?  I guess you're the expert in embarrassing oneself.

For the record, my collar is not popped. I'm wearing a Brooks Brothers polo (collar down) tucked into khaki slacks. Again, your characteristic inattention to detail and relevance has undermined any point that you may have been trying to make. Although, I'm not convinced that you had one to begin with.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 07:24:55 AM »
For you Jules, I'll drop it. Only because I secretly (or not so secretly anymore) adore you.

you sweet, but not stop julie's sake.  julie actually being sarcastic, as julie occasionally been known argue--although mostly with republican stooges for (now former) wingnut empire.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 07:25:41 AM »
when, oh when, you people tire of argument?

When we pick careers where we are not paid by the hour to do it!

BTW: Spano, Julie is all mine. She won't admit it, but we have a mad passionate love affair going on, even though she likes to bite sometimes. Her constantly saying 'hardest ever' makes up for everything else.

who paying you now, and what rate?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 07:26:33 AM »
From the guy with the pink polo and popped collar? I guess you're the expert in embarrassing oneself.

For the record, my collar is not popped. I'm wearing a Brooks Brothers polo (collar down) tucked into khaki slacks. Again, your characteristic inattention to detail and relevance has undermined any point that you may have been trying to make. Although, I'm not convinced that you had one to begin with.

and brand name worth mentioning because...