Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm about to start studying for the Feb 09 LSAT...Best Tips?  (Read 4429 times)

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
Re: Let me clarify my request
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:19 PM »
I need a suggested study schedule for the two months leading up to test day.  Thanks!

If you give a mouse a cookie...

Quote from: onmytoes812
thanks for the vote of confidence and the extremely helpful advice.

i can't take it in june and october is too late for a first try...and i highly doubt i will fail at life.

First, just something to consider... I think the reason people reacted so negatively to your comment isn't because two months won't be enough time to study, or even because you'd like someone to tailor a study schedule for you. It probably has a great deal more to do with the way that you asked. In general, a short & flippant query will be met with short & flippant answers. If you'd have taken the time to type out a well-considered, thoughtful request then you'd have surely received well-considered, thoughtful responses.

I took the time to provide you with a comprehensive list of all of the materials you need for successful self-study.

Get them, read them, learn them, take the PTs. Rinse & Repeat...

Day 1: take an untimed base-line PT (something recent, like PT 46 or above). Review it for a few hours. See where you went wrong, go back through each question. Get a sense of where & why you are making mistakes.

Day 2: take an timed base-line PT (something recent, like PT 46 or above). Review it for a few hours. See where you went wrong, go back through each question. Get a sense of where & why you are making mistakes. Consider how time effected your score.

Week 1: Read LGB & drill Basic Linear games from PTs 1-25 (see LGB appendix for game breakdown)

Take a couple more untimed PTs (in the mid to late 20s) - start to develop a feel for the test

Week 2: Read LRB and take at least 10 to 14 LR sections from older PTs (1-25ish)

Take a couple more full, untimed PTs - continue to develop a feel for the test

Week 3: Review LGB and drill Advanced Linear & Grouping Games.

Take a couple of full, timed PTs, something in the early 30 range. Begin to develop your sense of timing.

Week 4: Read RCB and take at least 10 to 14 RC sections from older PTs (1-25ish)

Take a couple of full, timed PTs, something in the mid 30 range. Continue to develop your sense of timing.

Weeks 5-8: Drill yourself on all weaknesses discovered in weeks 1-4. Figure out specifically what types of questions you are having difficulty with, and focus your studying efforts on those question types.

Take 20+ full, timed PTs.

onmytoes812

• View Profile
Re: I'm about to start studying for the Feb 09 LSAT...Best Tips?
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
thank you so much! that's exactly what i was looking for. i just didn't know how to word that and i didn't want to waste people's time acting like i knew where to start besides buying LGB and the preptests when most of the responses on my thread have been from JulieFern and other friendly LSD faces.
i actually did take your list and wrote it all down and i've already started going through the logic games bible because i have it available.  i'm planning to order the other things asap.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »
There is no substitute for PRACTICE.  Buy as many authentic LSAT examinations as you can and try as many as possible under timed, quiet, test-taking conditions.  Also try some of these tips:
(1) Read the stem of the logical reasoning questions before the actual passage question itself.  It gives you an idea of what you are looking for. 
(2) In the Logic Games, if you get the right answer in question (A), don't bother reading questions (B) - (D).  This is a huge time saver and the exam is all about speed and accuracy.
(3) Make sure you know the main conclusion or main point after reading any reading comp passage - this will help you answer at least three of the questions.  Feel free to ask any other questions!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com 

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 05:26:36 PM »
There is no substitute for PRACTICE.  Buy as many authentic LSAT examinations as you can and try as many as possible under timed, quiet, test-taking conditions.  Also try some of these tips:
(1) Read the stem of the logical reasoning questions before the actual passage question itself.  It gives you an idea of what you are looking for. 

WRONG! Please, for the love of God, do NOT read the stem first. Always, always, ALWAYS read the stimulus first, then the stem, then the questions.

Why?

1) It causes confusion: You don't need the distraction of trying to remember the stem while you are reading the stimulus. The stimulus often contains dense, difficult, material. You will only confuse yourself by trying to split your focus between comprehending the stimulus AND applying it to the stem simultaneously.

2) It wastes time: If you read the stem first, then you will probably end up having to read it a second time after reading the stimulus.  If it takes you 8 seconds to read the stem the first time, then that is nearly 3.5 minutes per exam wasted... 10% of your time!

3) "Knowing what to look for" is often predictable WITHOUT reading the stimulus: The LSAT is predictable, and similar situations arise again and again. With proper preparation, you will begin to anticipate what the question stem will ask, simply by recognizing a familiar pattern in the stimulus. Therefore, the only conceivable benefit to be derived from prematurely reading the stem--knowing what to look for in a stimulus--is a skill that you will develop naturally with proper preparation (and without any need to waste 10% of your test time reading the stimulus).

Quote from: AlisaGreenstein
(2) In the Logic Games, if you get the right answer in question (A), don't bother reading questions (B) - (D).  This is a huge time saver and the exam is all about speed and accuracy.

Don't bother reading "Questions" (B) - (D), eh? I thought that questions were numbered, and answer choices were lettered...

...And what happened to "E"?

If the exam is about speed and accuracy, as you say, then perhaps representatives of prep test companies attempting to solicit business by doling out generic "advice" on message boards should strive for a minimum level of accuracy themselves.

Quote from: AlisaGreenstein
(3) Make sure you know the main conclusion or main point after reading any reading comp passage - this will help you answer at least three of the questions.  Feel free to ask any other questions!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com 

Thanks for the generic, awful advice Alisa. If you are going to spam message boards, it'd be in everyone's best interest not to post irrelevant, contrarian information.

Cheers,

HYSHopeful

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »
HYSHopeful, I was going to go through your post and address your points, but you sound like an insufferable a-hole and it would take too much of my time.  You have good numbers, but it's no reason to be a jerk.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

HYSHopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LawSchooli.com
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 06:58:14 PM »
HYSHopeful, I was going to go through your post and address your points, but you sound like an insufferable a-hole and it would take too much of my time.  You have good numbers, but it's no reason to be a jerk.

If my previous post came off as "insufferable", I apologize. I'm only trying to look after the best interests of the people who come here to get legitimate advice. If AlisaGreenstein wasn't a shill for a prep company, then I wouldn't have been so critical. I have a problem with representatives of prep companies who come on here to spam the message boards, particularly when their advice is likely to actually hurt the individuals who follow it.

AlisaGreenstein's post was nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at generating traffic for Veritas Prep... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that individuals might actually follow the advice that she gave... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that doing so may actually hurt said individuals.

I'm unsure as to what your motivation might be for defending veritas prep company.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 07:59:52 PM »

If my previous post came off as "insufferable", I apologize. I'm only trying to look after the best interests of the people who come here to get legitimate advice. If AlisaGreenstein wasn't a shill for a prep company, then I wouldn't have been so critical. I have a problem with representatives of prep companies who come on here to spam the message boards, particularly when their advice is likely to actually hurt the individuals who follow it.

AlisaGreenstein's post was nothing but a thinly veiled attempt at generating traffic for Veritas Prep... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that individuals might actually follow the advice that she gave... Which wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that doing so may actually hurt said individuals.

I'm unsure as to what your motivation might be for defending veritas prep company.

Ell oh ell.

I have no interest in Veritas Prep.  I've never heard of the company.  But, I have taken the LSAT and been successful using other methods you so rudely dismissed in your previous post.  In addition, I have previously been unsuccessful when taking the LSAT and using some of the methods that you advocated.

Being irritated by shills is one thing.  Hell, it's obnoxious and I get that.  But stop acting like you're God's gift to the LSAT and that it must be done your way or it's WRONG.  BTW, being a major jerk to discredit Alisa's position on the LSAT (as well as attempting to respond to me in kind) is basically an ad hominem attack.  I'm sure you know what those are, being such a sweet ass LSAT pontificator and all.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2008, 01:10:13 PM »
I need a suggested study schedule for the two months leading up to test day. Thanks!

ok:

morning: study hard
 afternoon: study hard
 evening: study harder

repeat until ready.

good gameplan. maybe throw in a few cups of coffee, too

there good book on that, written by i. p. freely.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
HYSHopeful, I was going to go through your post and address your points, but you sound like an insufferable a-hole and it would take too much of my time. You have good numbers, but it's no reason to be a jerk.

hey, jerkosity pretty much required in these parts.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 01:13:11 PM »
HYSHopeful, I was going to go through your post and address your points, but you sound like an insufferable a-hole and it would take too much of my time. You have good numbers, but it's no reason to be a jerk.

Ell oh ell.

I have no interest in Veritas Prep. I've never heard of the company. But, I have taken the LSAT and been successful using other methods you so rudely dismissed in your previous post. In addition, I have previously been unsuccessful when taking the LSAT and using some of the methods that you advocated.

Being irritated by shills is one thing. Hell, it's obnoxious and I get that. But stop acting like you're God's gift to the LSAT and that it must be done your way or it's WRONG. BTW, being a major jerk to discredit Alisa's position on the LSAT (as well as attempting to respond to me in kind) is basically an ad hominem attack. I'm sure you know what those are, being such a sweet ass LSAT pontificator and all.

so, who right here?