Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it possible for me to get into a top 25 law school? (Korean-American)  (Read 1241 times)

jinny

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello everyone,

I am a 27 year old Korean-American. I recently decided that I wanted to try to get into a top 25 law school and have been trying to get a solid grasp on the whole process. I just started studying for the LSAT with a test date goal of either June or October in mind and am currently not working.

Few facts about myself:
- Graduated undergrad w/ a Bachelors of Science in Business MGT in 2005 from a tier 1 public university (top 25 undergraduate business ranking).
- Received 2 separate business certificates from my school to supplement my degree.
- Undergraduate GPA 3.62
- Studied for a year abroad at a top ranked private university in Seoul, Korea. I also received an academic based scholarship to study there.

Unfortunately, I believe my weakest points lie in my work history and I am not sure how much that will impact my chances. I worked for about a year at a large Korean electronics manufacturer, than worked in the cell phone sales industry for a year and decided that it wasn’t what I wanted to do. While I do have volunteer experience, I did not hold any significant leadership roles.

Does my lack of participation in leadership roles/associations and sporadic work experience hurt my chances greatly?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions!

jinny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it possible for me to get into a top 25 law school? (Korean-American)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 01:07:42 AM »
the only way I think it could hurt you is because it looks like you have no idea what you want to do. how do they know that law school isn't just another thing you're going to try and quit?

I see your point. I was always interested in going and had entertained the thought since I graduated undergrad, but I wanted to try the workforce before I made any final decisions. Also, there were family issues/circumstances to consider which made it more difficult to decide, but those I believe go beyond the scope of this topic.

jinny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is it possible for me to get into a top 25 law school? (Korean-American)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 01:18:53 AM »
Does my lack of participation in leadership roles/associations and sporadic work experience hurt my chances greatly?

no.  95% of law school admissions come down to 1. lsat; 2. gpa.

Yea, that's basically what I've been told also. How much weight would you say is put on factors such as studying abroad or certificates? Does it give any advantages or just basically dead weight in regards to gpa lsat?