Law School Discussion

Would appreciate some feedbacks, opinions, or advices.

Would appreciate some feedbacks, opinions, or advices.
« on: November 30, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »
Hey all!

I have a dilemma that's been keeping me up at night.  I'm scheduled to take this December 2008 exam, but I'm not sure if my impending circumstances would allow me to perform my best on the exam day.  Before I go any further, let me give you some of my background information:

-  This next LSAT will be my third exam.  I cancelled the previous two, including the October 2008.

-  Been studying consistently for over a year now.  During the recent months, I've been scoring above 170 for the most part and my highest was 178.

-  Other parts of my applications are finished with help from Anna Ivey: Personal Statement, Statement of Purpose, Resume, and three great LOR.

-  Have about three years of work experience and continues to work at the same place.

This last point is also a problem since during the past three months I've traveling non-stop.  Constant travel has been exhausting and if I were to take the exam next friday, I need to fly back to my home and take it at the designated site.  Of course, there is a good chance that I will do well and get this over with. Hopefully, I will be able to submit my applications in time and start attending one of the schools of my choice in fall 2009.  However, my goal is to apply with the best score and have the best chance in getting accepted to one of the top law schools.  I can postpone and take the exam at a later date when I'm feeling less exhausted and stressed, but this would also mean that I have to wait another 20 months or so to start my education. 

I honestly believe that I can still improve my timing on each sections and increase my accuracy a bit more.  I would greatly appreciate any of your feedbacks, opinions, or advices.  Thank you.

(Does this somehow resemble one of the LSAT's writing section?)

Re: Would appreciate some feedbacks, opinions, or advices.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:31:10 PM »
considering your soft factors are in good order, I don't think you should feel hesitant about December. You are scoring in the 170s and that is honestly good enough. We can always reason that we could do better next time, but you just gotta do it and get it over with.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 12:12:49 AM »
Hey all!

I have a dilemma that's been keeping me up at night.  I'm scheduled to take this December 2008 exam, but I'm not sure if my impending circumstances would allow me to perform my best on the exam day.  Before I go any further, let me give you some of my background information:

-  This next LSAT will be my third exam.  I cancelled the previous two, including the October 2008.

-  Been studying consistently for over a year now.  During the recent months, I've been scoring above 170 for the most part and my highest was 178.

-  Other parts of my applications are finished with help from Anna Ivey: Personal Statement, Statement of Purpose, Resume, and three great LOR.

-  Have about three years of work experience and continues to work at the same place.

This last point is also a problem since during the past three months I've traveling non-stop.  Constant travel has been exhausting and if I were to take the exam next friday, I need to fly back to my home and take it at the designated site.  Of course, there is a good chance that I will do well and get this over with. Hopefully, I will be able to submit my applications in time and start attending one of the schools of my choice in fall 2009.  However, my goal is to apply with the best score and have the best chance in getting accepted to one of the top law schools.  I can postpone and take the exam at a later date when I'm feeling less exhausted and stressed, but this would also mean that I have to wait another 20 months or so to start my education. 

I honestly believe that I can still improve my timing on each sections and increase my accuracy a bit more.  I would greatly appreciate any of your feedbacks, opinions, or advices.  Thank you.

(Does this somehow resemble one of the LSAT's writing section?)

I have a buddy who took the LSAT in June and October. He is planning on taking it again in December, and believes that this is the last time he can take the exam. I never canceled an LSAT, so I have no clue as to whether or not this is true. Does anyone know if you can only take (or cancel) a certain number of LSATs in a given period?

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:54:30 AM »
I think if you're consistently scoring above 170, and you've studied for so long, then you should take it, because it seems that you've had plenty of preparation and time to think about it; postponing might just make you crazy since it'd be like a third psyche-out. (I think a third psyche-out would do more harm than good, anyway.)

That said, it is really important to be well-rested and in the proper mindset for test day, especially so if it's a retake (I'm sure you know this). If you're boss is reasonable, could you possibly ask for a couple days off before the test to refresh from the travels and calm the mind from the hustle and bustle of work. The LSAT is important to your future, and if framed correctly, a good request should be respected by any decent supervisor.

As per HYSHopeful's question, I believe you can take the test three times in a year/two year period.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 07:19:29 PM »
Thanks to all who responded.

I honestly do wish to end this now.  However, I would hate to see any careless mistakes simply because I was not on top of my game; too much efforts went in during the past year. 

Idapie - I would love to take some time off before the exam, but month of December is like our crunch time and it's pretty hard to get any time off before the exam.  Couple days before Christmas? Maybe.  Also, I do not want to raise suspicion around my office or even give a hint to my supervisor that I'm going to law school.  This is another reason why I was contemplating to postpone my exam. 

Third psyche-out does have a strong impact on you.  I wish to give my best on this third try.  I'm gonna do one more diagnostic on Thursday to see where I stand (mentally and physically).  Good luck to all who's taking the exam this Saturday. 

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:13:13 PM »
Not that I advocate this regularly...

... but could you call in sick the couple days before? I mean if you're planning on law school anyway, might as well take advantage of your sick days :)

Hrm difficult situation though, I imagine it's hard for anyone in a career to plan for a different one. Definitely take the test Thursday (maybe even Wednesday) to see if you're up to speed, then if you have to, call in sick. You gotta do what you gotta do, yea? (Easier said than done in this economy, though, I'll concede that.)

Good luck!