Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: academic probation addendum  (Read 1871 times)

bridget

• Sr. Citizen
  • crepes=delicious
    • View Profile
academic probation addendum
« on: November 29, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »
Here's the situation:
I am doing Teach For America right now and applying to law schools for next fall, when my two year commitment is complete.  Part of the Teach For America program was a certification program through a local diploma mill university.  It did not result in a degree, just facilitated my certification to teach.  I took three terms worth of classes, 2-3 per term while working full time (which as a first year teacher meant 80+ hours/week).  The first semester of teaching was the worst 4 months of my life and I frequently prioritized my students' needs (and my needs for things like sleep and food) above my grad school work.  I had a 2.83 GPA (an A-, a B-, and a C-) and was put on academic probation for second semester, as they do to any grad student with a GPA below 3.0.  I pulled straight A's after that and have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 (still .4 below my undergrad, but respectable).  I wasn't going to write an addendum because it seems extraneous to write one for a program that didn't grant a  degree, is not related to law, and was an obligation to enroll in as part of TFA.  But, on applications, most ask for an explanation of any probation by any institution.
So, include an addendum, or not?  thoughts?
Teach For America*Chicago

Diet Yomajesty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: academic probation addendum
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
Better to include. They can read the details and realize the context.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell
You could leave a cardboard cutout of Erik Estrada at the front counter and I guarantee you no one would ever know the difference.
Not so much because you resemble Erik Estrada, more so because you have the personality of cardboard.