Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I travel to India?  (Read 5452 times)

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Should I travel to India?
« on: November 29, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »
Ok, this has nothing to do with Law school other than it was my plan for winter break. I have a trip planned to India from Dec. 13-29th. We are going because I (random white american) married and Indian guy and we are having a wedding reception in New Dehli so I can meet my husbands extended family. My sister and mother will be going, as well as four of our friends (all white). My husbands immediate family is traveling over there as well.

Our plan is too spend most of our time in New Dehli where most of the family is and where the reception will be located. We will travel on day trips to Agra (Taj Mahal, not the hotel) and Jaipur. The last five days we will be in Goa (a couple of hours from Mumbai on the coast).

Would you cancel this trip given the awful attacks in Mumbai? What is most unnerving is the terrorist targeted Westerners and we will be travel with a small group of clearly western people. We are not staying in luxury hotels like Taj or even going to Mumbai but we are going to to some tourist destinations, like the Taj Mahal and the palaces at Jaipur.

I know this is a really random question but I am trying to make a difficult decision so any input is much appreciated.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I travel to India?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 02:53:42 PM »
State Department has issued a travel advisory that expires at the end of Dec. Notably, this is just an advisory, not a travel warning.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:23:44 PM »
What is most unnerving is the terrorist targeted Westerners and we will be travel with a small group of clearly western people. We are not staying in luxury hotels like Taj or even going to Mumbai but we are going to to some tourist destinations, like the Taj Mahal and the palaces at Jaipur.

Actually, this doesn't appear to be the case.

Contrary to earlier reports, it appeared that Westerners were not the gunmen’s main targets: they killed whoever they could. By Saturday evening, 18 of the dead were confirmed as foreigners; an additional 22 foreigners were injured, said Vilasrao Deshmukh, the chief minister of Maharashtra State, where Mumbai is located.

The State Department has said at least five Americans died in the attacks. Consular officials from Britain, the Netherlands and Israel went to the morgue on Saturday to see if their missing citizens had turned up there.

There were reports on the first night of the attacks that gunmen had rounded up holders of American and British passports at the Oberoi and herded them upstairs. But Rattan Keswani, the president of Trident Hotels, said he had found no basis for such reports.

“Nothing seems to suggest that,” he said, noting that a range of nationalities was represented among the 22 hotel guests who died, in addition to the 10 staff members, all Indian.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/world/asia/30mumbai.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1&hp

That's not to say, of course, that the situation isn't unnerving in and of itself.

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 03:37:57 PM »
Ok, this has nothing to do with Law school other than it was my plan for winter break. I have a trip planned to India from Dec. 13-29th. We are going because I (random white american) married and Indian guy and we are having a wedding reception in New Dehli so I can meet my husbands extended family. My sister and mother will be going, as well as four of our friends (all white). My husbands immediate family is traveling over there as well.

Our plan is too spend most of our time in New Dehli where most of the family is and where the reception will be located. We will travel on day trips to Agra (Taj Mahal, not the hotel) and Jaipur. The last five days we will be in Goa (a couple of hours from Mumbai on the coast).

Would you cancel this trip given the awful attacks in Mumbai? What is most unnerving is the terrorist targeted Westerners and we will be travel with a small group of clearly western people. We are not staying in luxury hotels like Taj or even going to Mumbai but we are going to to some tourist destinations, like the Taj Mahal and the palaces at Jaipur.

I know this is a really random question but I am trying to make a difficult decision so any input is much appreciated.

I have family and friends who just flew to Mumbai (well, first to another part of India but to end up in Mumbai eventually).  Apparently it doesn't phase them all that much.  Although, they may change plans and stay in our state instead of going that far south.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the input.

My my major concern is with Goa. Goa is a Portuguese settlement (western) that is a huge tourist destination for westerners and apparently young Israelis. It is a party city, drugs and alcohol a plenty. Seems like a place terrorist would particularly despise. Especially since I will be there over Christmas and there are many Christians in the area as well.

It is so hard to determine motive. Like Susan B.Anthony said, their motive may not be Westerners but the attacks are unnerving nonetheless . . .

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:36:38 PM »
. We are going because I (random white american) married and Indian guy and we are having a wedding reception in New Dehli so I can meet my husbands extended family. 

That typo is making your sentence somewhat confusing at first.  I thought you were a dude, specifically a dude about to get married to another Indian dude and you're planning to go to some random weddig reception.   Please be known that "an" is NOT the same as "and." 

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »
. We are going because I (random white american) married and Indian guy and we are having a wedding reception in New Dehli so I can meet my husbands extended family. 

That typo is making your sentence somewhat confusing at first.  I thought you were a dude, specifically a dude about to get married to another Indian dude and you're planning to go to some random weddig reception.   Please be known that "an" is NOT the same as "and." 

That is really anal and completely unhelpful, thanks. "Please be known that an is NOT the same as and."  Also not a clear an concise sentence. And we are not panning "some random weddig reception." Get a life.

Please limit replies to helpful commentary concerning India, any news or thoughts are much appreciated.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »

That is really anal and completely unhelpful, thanks. "Please be known that an is NOT the same as and."  Also not a clear an concise sentence. And we are not panning "some random weddig reception." Get a life.

Please limit replies to helpful commentary concerning India, any news or thoughts are much appreciated.

I am glad you see how ennoying it was, even knowing it was sarcasism.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
Yeah, you were being sarcastic . . . right. Well this "sarcasism" is not clear in your obnoxious banter so I guess you're just a bad writer.  Pointing out such a little mistake in ones writing is annoying! Go edit some other post.  I have a serious question I was hoping people would like to discuss. Seriously, get a life!

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
Interesting, thanks for the input.

My my major concern is with Goa. Goa is a Portuguese settlement (western) that is a huge tourist destination for westerners and apparently young Israelis. It is a party city, drugs and alcohol a plenty. Seems like a place terrorist would particularly despise. Especially since I will be there over Christmas and there are many Christians in the area as well.

It is so hard to determine motive. Like Susan B.Anthony said, their motive may not be Westerners but the attacks are unnerving nonetheless . . .

I don't know much about Goa because I haven't been there yet, but we have a relationship with the Salgaocar Law School there and the Director of their Legal Aid Clinic has extended an invitation to bring in anyone who's interested in learning about what they do.  I've heard the law school is right on the beach.  If you're there you should stop by and check it out... unless this is a forget-about-being-in-law-school vacation, in which case please disregard and enjoy being on a beach in December.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10