Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Traditional Study Ready to Counsel  (Read 1404 times)

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Non-Traditional Study Ready to Counsel
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 12:09:26 AM »
Are you applying for this cycle or next?

I definitely think that people our age can do it -- I'm still on the fence as to whether there is a slight age bias in law school admissions (LSAC reports tend to support my concerns), but I guess I'll know by the end of my cycle.

I'm a year your junior and also URM.  I've applied to many of your target schools.

Good luck, and please keep up us (me!) up to date with your plans/results.  I so want my worst fears to go unconfirmed! :)

Hello there, next cycle actually. I have some issues at home to work out. I will most certainly keep you posted. Have you taken the LSAT yet?

Three times.  First two, I scored well below my prep-test average (although I have to admit I wasn't exactly rigorous with conditions) and realized I seriously misbubbled.  I went for an eye exam (the strain of studying for LSATs is pretty tremendous, btw) and found I really needed reading glasses.  Scored eighteen raw points (9 score points) higher with a 165 in June 08.  I still think I could do better, but I'll take it.

165 doesn't sound too bad to me...but I understand you wanting to add another 6 or 7 points to that.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 12:18:26 AM »
Are you applying for this cycle or next?

I definitely think that people our age can do it -- I'm still on the fence as to whether there is a slight age bias in law school admissions (LSAC reports tend to support my concerns), but I guess I'll know by the end of my cycle.

I'm a year your junior and also URM.  I've applied to many of your target schools.

Good luck, and please keep up us (me!) up to date with your plans/results.  I so want my worst fears to go unconfirmed! :)

Hello there, next cycle actually. I have some issues at home to work out. I will most certainly keep you posted. Have you taken the LSAT yet?

Three times.  First two, I scored well below my prep-test average (although I have to admit I wasn't exactly rigorous with conditions) and realized I seriously misbubbled.  I went for an eye exam (the strain of studying for LSATs is pretty tremendous, btw) and found I really needed reading glasses.  Scored eighteen raw points (9 score points) higher with a 165 in June 08.  I still think I could do better, but I'll take it.

165 doesn't sound too bad to me...but I understand you wanting to add another 6 or 7 points to that.

I pretty much cried when I got it, so I guess I was happy enough. I do have some pretty unique soft factors, although my UGP (22 years ago) was somewhat wrecked by being a single parent and working 40 hours a week.  But I've been told that old GPAs are not as important if you have work experience and general success in life, and I feel pretty good about that.

I strongly recommend talking with an admissions consultant if you can afford it.  I used Admissions Consultants and was very pleased with their help.  We'll see, of course, if it worked ;).

Again, lots of luck.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 12:24:04 AM »
What does an admissions consultant do? Would they tell you to improve your soft (which I am guessing are non quant and qual portions of your application). As I said, I'm unfamiliar with all of the jargon, but I'm a quick study.  ;)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 12:26:20 AM »
What does an admissions consultant do? Would they tell you to improve your soft (which I am guessing are non quant and qual portions of your application). As I said, I'm unfamiliar with all of the jargon, but I'm a quick study.  ;)

They can do as little as help you put together the right list to as much as helping with your entire package (reading and editing your personal and diversity statements, resume, addenda, etc.)  My consultant was a former dean from a T10 school. 
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 12:43:59 AM »

They can do as little as help you put together the right list to as much as helping with your entire package (reading and editing your personal and diversity statements, resume, addenda, etc.)  My consultant was a former dean from a T10 school. 

Is it necessary to have a consultant? Not saying that I won't need one, but I'm guessing if you are brave, bold and intellectual enough to endeavor a legal education, might these things be accomplished without assistance? Just asking.

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2008, 01:13:56 AM »
Is it necessary to have a consultant? Not saying that I won't need one, but I'm guessing if you are brave, bold and intellectual enough to endeavor a legal education, might these things be accomplished without assistance? Just asking.

It's not necessary.  Most people don't use one.  Some find it helpful, though.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."