Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-Traditional Study Ready to Counsel  (Read 1454 times)

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
Non-Traditional Study Ready to Counsel
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
Hello Guys,

I am a non traditional student, as witnessed by my screen name. My question is, do you think LSAC's will treat me with contempt because of my advanced age? Yes I am African American, but I don't think that will tilt the scales for or against me.I am a recent college grad, a 3.50 GPA, I haven't begun to study for the LSAT as of yet.

I am looking at the following schools:

Emory
GTown
Howard
Cornell
Fordham
George Washington
SMU
Wake Forest
Duke...a stretch
Columbia...a stretch

Do you guys think it will be too mentally taxing on someone my age? I am in greatphysical health.
Any opionions are welcomed.

Please be nice, I do bite. >:(

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Traditional Study Ready to Counsel
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 10:03:11 PM »
"Advanced age" doesn't make much of a difference.  I know a few people older than even me and they're all doing fine.  You'll be okay.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
"Advanced age" doesn't make much of a difference.  I know a few people older than even me and they're all doing fine.  You'll be okay.

*big exhale*

Thank you so much...I am sitting here waiting with baited breath for other comments.  :-[

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 10:31:59 PM »
Lol are you senile or something?  If not, you'll be fine.

Btw, LSAC is a nonprofit organization.

Adcoms = admission committees

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 10:34:20 PM »
Lol are you senile or something?  If not, you'll be fine.

Btw, LSAC is a nonprofit organization.

Adcoms = admission committees

Oh ok, not familiar with all of the board jargon yet..but yes, I'm familiar with the LSAC and it's status as a NP. Thank you so much.  As for the senility, the jury's still out. ;D

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 10:47:12 PM »
Are you applying for this cycle or next?

I definitely think that people our age can do it -- I'm still on the fence as to whether there is a slight age bias in law school admissions (LSAC reports tend to support my concerns), but I guess I'll know by the end of my cycle.

I'm a year your junior and also URM.  I've applied to many of your target schools.

Good luck, and please keep up us (me!) up to date with your plans/results.  I so want my worst fears to go unconfirmed! :)
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »

I definitely think that people our age can do it -- I'm still on the fence as to whether there is a slight age bias in law school admissions (LSAC reports tend to support my concerns), but I guess I'll know by the end of my cycle.

I'm a year your junior and also URM.  I've applied to many of your target schools.

Good luck, and please keep up us (me!) up to date with your plans/results.  I so want my worst fears to go unconfirmed! :)

Hello there, next cycle actually. I have some issues at home to work out. I will most certainly keep you posted. Have you taken the LSAT yet?

Papa Bear

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do these shades make me look fat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »
What kind of trends?  I'm interested.  Do you mean LSAT averages?

After thinking about it for a bit, I think I should add to my earlier statement.  Older people have problems just like younger people have problems, they're just different.  For instance, younger students may think law school is a ton of work whereas older folks who've been working their butts off for a few years won't have a problem with that so much.  Older folks (like me) often have to adjust to the academic rigor that's missing from most jobs, and I've noticed that some (again, like me) have trouble giving up the amenities you can't afford while going to school full time.  So in the balance I don't think it's any harder or easier - just different.
"Facts have a well-known liberal bias."

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
What kind of trends?  I'm interested.  Do you mean LSAT averages?

After thinking about it for a bit, I think I should add to my earlier statement.  Older people have problems just like younger people have problems, they're just different.  For instance, younger students may think law school is a ton of work whereas older folks who've been working their butts off for a few years won't have a problem with that so much.  Older folks (like me) often have to adjust to the academic rigor that's missing from most jobs, and I've noticed that some (again, like me) have trouble giving up the amenities you can't afford while going to school full time.  So in the balance I don't think it's any harder or easier - just different.

Me likey  ;D

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »

Hello there, next cycle actually. I have some issues at home to work out. I will most certainly keep you posted. Have you taken the LSAT yet?

Three times.  First two, I scored well below my prep-test average (although I have to admit I wasn't exactly rigorous with conditions) and realized I seriously misbubbled.  I went for an eye exam (the strain of studying for LSATs is pretty tremendous, btw) and found I really needed reading glasses.  Scored eighteen raw points (9 score points) higher with a 165 in June 08.  I still think I could do better, but I'll take it.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.