Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visiting Student Question  (Read 2300 times)

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
Visiting Student Question
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
1) Do law schools care about your grades when you apply to be a visiting student?
2) Most law schools say you need a 'compelling reason' to be a visiting student. Would wanting to work in that immediate area as opposed to my current school thousands of miles away count as a compelling reason, or would there need to be something more like to be close to a sick relative?

Jen2bJD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Student Question
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:13:27 PM »
Bump.

jalex519

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
1) Do law schools care about your grades when you apply to be a visiting student?
2) Most law schools say you need a 'compelling reason' to be a visiting student. Would wanting to work in that immediate area as opposed to my current school thousands of miles away count as a compelling reason, or would there need to be something more like to be close to a sick relative?

1) I don't think so - its just more tuition money for them, without any real downside. That being said, it might be a different case for T14 schools and state schools that strongly favor in-state students (like UNC, Texas, etc.)

2) Wanting to work in the area is a compelling reason
2L and counting...

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »
i'm currently a visiting student... email me if you got questions...

You can apply for any reason... going to an area to work is fine for the schools that you apply to.. They do not care... The ivy league ones usually will not take you unless your at a similarly ranked school...

I got into temple, villanova and widener.. I'm at villanova b/c it is closest to my house... Penn rejected me... kinda glad they did b/c i would feel forced to go and pay the extra 10K.

Your home school may be tough though... some schools don't like it when their students visit b/c they are losing money. So they say you have to have a hardship... each school is different... my school in indiana used to be fine, but starting next year they are making it harder for students to visit.. you have to prove hardship like sick relative...etc...

But the Host schools really don't care.. they like the extra cash without the burden of giving you a degree. Still apply where  you want b/c for all intense purposes you are a student there... I got interviews easier from the career simplicity system at villanova... so prospects went up for me b/c I was finally in the area I wanted to work.. It is worth it! Good luck!

PS: Visiting is kinda fun too, you meet new people and get to see how things are at other law schools and compare... Plus you get to be where you want which is always good!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

The Artist

• Sr. Citizen
  • Admit it... you got Rick Rolled.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:33:09 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it.