Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLM impacting regional options?  (Read 1617 times)

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
LLM impacting regional options?
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:18:11 AM »
I am having a huge dilemma of where to go for my JD. I've been accepted at DePaul and Marquette so far...I would absolutely love to go to DePaul. I am pretty much unhealthily obsessed with the city of Chicago and have family/friends there, etc. I also not want, but NEED to set up my career in a progressive city. The kicker is I'm from Mississippi.  With the economy in its current state, I may only feasibly be able to go to Ole Miss for my JD. Oxford is my home town so I could live here for free and go to UM for virtually free. My DePaul scholarship is only a little over half-tuition which still leaves a lot to be accounted for. Basically what I'm asking is this-if I were to get my JD at Ole Miss, finish high in my class, and possibly get an LLM (I'm thinking about environmental)from a top program, would I have any shot at leaving the southeastern region? Thanks a million if you want to take a shot at this one!

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LLM impacting regional options?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
Going to Ole Miss will pretty much limit you to staying in the Southeast.  Why not go to DePaul?  Half-tuition is pretty good.  If you really want to leave the south, do it.

Congrats on your early acceptances :)
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
Re: LLM impacting regional options?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
I also not want, but NEED to set up my career in a progressive city.

No you don't. Why would you? Also, "progressive" is a stupid term. It was coined by Teddy Roosevelt, who happens to be John McCain's role-model: Does that make McCain "progressive"?

Just say, "I want to live in a city that votes for Democrats." That is really all the term means in common usage anyway.

Basically what I'm asking is this-if I were to get my JD at Ole Miss, finish high in my class, and possibly get an LLM (I'm thinking about environmental)from a top program, would I have any shot at leaving the southeastern region? Thanks a million if you want to take a shot at this one!

If you finish high in your class at Ole Miss (no guarantee, remember), and are willing to do A LOT of legwork, you will get out of the Southeast.

It sounds like you're more interested in moving north than in the type of city though. You could just as easily target Atlanta, which is hardly a conservative stronghold.
VIP.