Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Unique LOR Question  (Read 1977 times)

jparsenal87

• AOL Instant Messenger - jparsenal87
    • View Profile
Unique LOR Question
« on: November 26, 2008, 01:30:27 AM »
-

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unique LOR Question
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 03:34:50 AM »
Less words please. TY.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

jparsenal87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 10:25:20 AM »
-

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:48 AM »
Ok, generally, I have two LORs in. A third recommender was supposed to submit a general LOR and a targeted LOR. Unfortunately, he decided that he would just submit a general letter, and mail a letter directly to the dean of his former law school. When he went to submit the general letter, I believe he mailed it in with the 'targeted LOR form'. So I would presumably have to get him to mail the same LOR again with the correct form.

All I'm asking is whether it is worth it to wait another week or so for that LOR, or just submit my other apps with just two LORs, if I think his letter is decent, but nothing spectacular.

Have him resend in right enevople, move on to stressing about something new, oh and go check you mail box and e-mail if its been more than 30 seconds since you last did.  :P
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:34:41 PM »
Ok, generally, I have two LORs in. A third recommender was supposed to submit a general LOR and a targeted LOR. Unfortunately, he decided that he would just submit a general letter, and mail a letter directly to the dean of his former law school. When he went to submit the general letter, I believe he mailed it in with the 'targeted LOR form'. So I would presumably have to get him to mail the same LOR again with the correct form.

All I'm asking is whether it is worth it to wait another week or so for that LOR, or just submit my other apps with just two LORs, if I think his letter is decent, but nothing spectacular.

If I understood your problem correctly (it was kind of wordy)- I think in terms of LSAC, the only difference between a General and Targeted letter is that a Targeted letter doesn't go out automatically, you have to direct it.  As far as I can tell (based on reapplication), you can target a letter more than once.  So all you would have to do is target that one letter towards the schools, then you don't have to wait.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

jparsenal87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »
The problem with that is I believe that the law schools see the "description" you set for each letter. hence, since I titled my targeted letter as "For Columbia Law School", I don't think I should direct that to the school.

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 06:01:08 PM »
The problem with that is I believe that the law schools see the "description" you set for each letter. hence, since I titled my targeted letter as "For Columbia Law School", I don't think I should direct that to the school.

Oh, I see.  I have no idea if they read/are able to see that or not
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

adriana

• Tranquila tía… no pasa nada
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 03:19:41 PM »

Law schools definitely see the title of your letter. So if you titled this targeted letter "For Columbia" or whatever the case may be, this is a problem you have to fix. If I were in your position, I would apply to Columbia with the two letters already on LSAC and assume your professor really did send his targeted handwritten letter (so jealous!) by mail. But I would also email/call LSAC to see if they can verify that it's actually a general letter that was sent, and if so to make the correction. Otherwise, have the prof resend the general LOR correctly.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helps  :)

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:24:20 PM »
With your numbers, isn't Columbia a lock (even without that recommendation)?  Not that I'm saying it's not a good thing, it's definitely great.

Just wondering, that's all...

jparsenal87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »
Well I really hope so! I always try to keep my expectations low - if I get into Columbia I'll be the happiest guy alive.

Funny you say that now - I just finished my apps and in the end only applied to one school outside the T14...so I'm already freaking myself out thinking that everyone is going to reject me. I guess only time will tell.