Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 1827 times)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Laptops
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:37:27 PM »
I'll just chime in and say I like Dells, I've owned seven, no mech problems, software issues, but I'm pretty handy with that. I gues the key is to get a new one every 18 months before they wear out.

I had to replace my power adapter 6 times in two and a half years. SIX TIMES.

Confused1Ltop10

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »
I have a Dell Inspiron 710m.

Pros: Never overheats, lightweight, clear screen, pretty sturdy. (I've dropped it a few times.)

Cons: extremely low battery life, speakers stopped working, bad foreign customer service helpline, I've gone through 4 power adapters in 2 years, my hard drive crashed 3 times (although this may simply be a result of illegal downloading)

I think I'm going with a Sony or a Mac this time around.
UPenn Class of 2012!

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:44:41 PM »
If you do end up getting a Dell, it might be better for you to purchase it through your university.  First, there's the discount, so you'll save some cash.  Second, if you purchase through an educational institution, you're technically part of the employee purchase plan as far as Dell's concerned.  That means your tech support and customer service needs are handled by call centers in the US.  Otherwise, if you purchase on your own, you'll be part of the home and home office segment...which means your tech support and customer service will likely be taken care of by a call center in India.  While I'm sure they're great people, they're extremely difficult to deal with because of the language barrier issues and because (since it's an outsourcing company and not a representative that actually works for Dell) they won't be able to do things that a Dell rep can do because they're not given access to certain tools.  And, I've heard that especially where tech support is concerned, the reps are given incentives to make sure they "fix" your problem in the shortest time period and cheapest way possible.  Obviously this isn't what's best for you, but I can't confirm that this is actually the case or just one of those things you hear.  Also, Dell has a vested interest in keeping educational account holders happy so they don't lose the contract-->better service.  Take a guess at what part-time gig I had at one time!

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 12:45:19 PM »
I'll just chime in and say I like Dells, I've owned seven, no mech problems, software issues, but I'm pretty handy with that. I gues the key is to get a new one every 18 months before they wear out.

I had to replace my power adapter 6 times in two and a half years. SIX TIMES.

Well I will say I only buy thier XPS models which are top of the line and come with a dedicated amercian tech support, if I had to replace anything more than twice I would have made them give me a new computer. But, kock on cyber wood, even with seven I have never had any mech issue. I will continue toi buy them until I do have problems, but I won't keep any computer for more than 18 months, they just wear out with constant use
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 02:00:24 PM »
I got a Dell XPS M1330 about a year and a half ago because my university had an amazing discount and warranty.  I've had the motherboard replaced twice now, once over the summer and once during this semester.  It hasn't been a huge deal because I got a free 3-year in-home warranty, so it was out of commission for less than 2 days each time. 

I don't think I'd want the computer without the warranty though, and given how much those cost, I don't think I'd pay for one.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
OMG, i hate dells...
Whats wrong with Dells? What do I not know?

I agree with all of the above complaints.  I had to replace the motherboard on my Dell multiple times, and it crashed once or twice during my period of ownership (four years)

In comparison, my Macbook has not had a single problem in the three years that I've owned it (knock wood).  I've only taken it in to the Mac store to get the faceplate replaced (white macbooks get dirty easily, and my faceplate always seems to crack in the right corner after a few months.  this is covered on my warranty).  I wish I had some reason or excuse to get one of the new aluminum macbooks so I could avoid the faceplate issues, but (un)fortunately, my three year old laptop is still running beautifully and there is just absolutely no reason to replace it.  I also feel confident that, if anything happened, at least all my files are backed up with the time machine program.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 03:13:07 PM »
I got a Dell XPS M1330

Thats what I am running right now, with an XPS 1730 as the gaming machine, no problems yet, but with the SSD drive I'm careful to back up daily.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 03:16:46 PM »
I wish I had some reason or excuse to get one of the new aluminum macbooks

I WANT ONE SO MUCH

Maybe next year  :-\

isustudent

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2008, 03:25:06 PM »
I'm looking into getting a lenovo (think pad) SL300.  It's pretty decently priced, small (13 inch) and thin.  Might be worth looking into?